Roast meats

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Roast meats

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:06 am

Ok so i would like to go into a butchers and simply point to a piece of beef/pork to roast but what i want isnt there!i know Spanish homes dont do Sunday lunch and they have their own way of cooking meat to suit them but the question is can i get a piece of brisket/top side or a nice piece of pork and how do i go about asking for it?My sister is joining us in Oct and she loves her Sunday lunch..ok sad as it is im going to try and please her because she hasnt had a great year and its the least i can do..Any help is greatly appreciated..sorry no time for punctuation or spell check..doing this on my phone..

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Roast meats

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 pm

What about a shoulder of Lamb? Slow roast it for 4 hours. Beautiful flavour.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:29 pm

Leg of Pork with Crackling.........ask the butcher for "PIERNA DE CERDO CON PIEL".......if in doubt take a pic to show the butcher lol....

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Oh come on costa kid ...im asking for help not for lamb!..lol

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 pm

I never buy leg of pork..too dry..shoulder or belly pork..ok dosent look like anyone can really help so i give in..we will have chicken!..

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:51 pm

Wow......perhaps you should have stipulated the actual cut of Pork you'd preferred then!!!
I So Bella tis you

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:21 pm

Take her to Burger King.They have nice processed beef if my lamb dish is not acceptable.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Ok folks..sorry i asked....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:20 pm

costakid wrote:Take her to Burger King.They have nice processed beef if my lamb dish is not acceptable.
If you cannot manage to post a sensible or a relevant answer to the original question, please don't bother.

Posting a lamb recipe as an answer to a specific question about beef or pork is neither relevant or sensible

Sid

Evelyn
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Evelyn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Pamela, Although I have only cooked Roast Beef once over here I asked for Bife Angosto para Asar. It was a large side that he showed me and I just told him how much I wanted. The other cut that I know is Filete de Bife(or buey) angosto con hueso. Which is basically a really large thick steak on the rib. You could have it cut on two or three ribs as you needed. Hope this helps.Managed to glean a bit more info for you. Tapa....Topside, Contra......Silverside(with fat con grasa). As I mentioned above Entrecote or Lomo Alto con hueso, Rib of Beef. Good Luck

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Pamela1,
Do you have a 'local village butcher' ?
We find our local butcher very helpful, he always has cuts of pork suitable for roasting,and you can pick what you need ,beef is not on offer so often, but if we give him a few days notice he will get some for us.
Normally we get a big piece of pork every 2 weeks, and what we don't use is cut and sliced and frozen ready for 'quick' meals.
The beef that the butcher gets for us is excellent quality, a bit expensive, but worth it.
He also gives us bones for our dogs ( free), and if he need extra bones for stock they are also supplied free.
Mercadona also have cuts of meat suitable for roasting and again if you don't see what you want, ask, they are very obliging and you can order for another day.
We also have a local bar that roasts a leg of pork every Saturday on a spit, very tasty and they also seem to add there own 'secret' ingredients , we often have a take away and it will last us at least 2 days and it is very tasty and moist and they always put plenty of 'meat juice' with it......yum yum.!!
And if all else fails chicken is plentiful, again we prefer the local butcher, cheaper in the supermarkets, but in our opinion not as nice.
Hope that you are successful in locating your requirements...
Regards,
Gordon

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:17 pm

I agree with Evelyn, if you are looking for a typical English rolled roasts joint like Topside, Tapa and Redondo and possibly Babilla would do. You can buy some great rib joints, but unless you need at least 3 ribs to do it justice and that's a big joint. I have roasted Entrecote before, but it's a bit pricey but that was at Xmas!

Pork is more difficult as it can end up dry. Again the same cuts as beef will be good. If you cook Lomo roast it on the bone.

For anyone near the Iceland store in Fuengirola, they usually do really good Irish topside and if you call them you can order exactly what you want in advance for later collection.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank you all for your help...Now i know what to ask for at the butchers...will let you know how it turned out. :wave:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:46 am

El Cid wrote:
costakid wrote:Take her to Burger King.They have nice processed beef if my lamb dish is not acceptable.
If you cannot manage to post a sensible or a relevant answer to the original question, please don't bother.

Posting a lamb recipe as an answer to a specific question about beef or pork is neither relevant or sensible

Sid
Thats absolute rubbish Cid. That was a genuine option because Lamb in Spain is very good. I was not offering pork or beef to someone who for religion doesn’t eat it.
I suppose now I have reacted and not rolled over you will delete my post.