Water

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
swerve
Resident

Water

Postby swerve » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:53 am

Found this.

Free drinking water in Andalucía's bars and cafés a legal requirement
thinkSPAIN Tue, Jan 9, 2018
[email protected] @thinkspain
BARS and cafés in Andalucía are now required by law to give customers free drinking water if they request it as part of the regional government's drive to improve the population's health.

They must provide a jug and glasses without charge, although the contents may be tap water instead of bottled if the former is drinkable.

Free water must also be available in vending machines set up in public places, or via fountains or other installations not more than two metres away, and also in schools or anywhere children may be gathered, such as parks.

Restaurants are now required to ensure they provide healthy meals on menus and be willing to offer different portion sizes if requested, and grocery shops and supermarkets must retail fresh and perishable produce in different sized packaging to reflect 'all family sizes' – a move aimed mainly at those living alone who do not want to buy goods in large containers that they know they will never be able to eat before they go off.

School canteens are required to use fresh, seasonal and local produce where possible and to base their lunches on the Mediterranean diet, whilst children will spend time working on school allotments as part of their curriculum and must undertake at least five hours of physical activity a week within school hours.

After-school activities should be based upon sports and exercise as much as possible.

Workplaces with more than 50 employees are required to install bicycle parks, and curbs on advertising of food and drink with high levels of fat, sugar and calories will be brought in shortly, especially those aimed at children under 15.

Such advertising must not claim any 'sensations of superiority' as a result of their consumption – like showing an ordinary school child turning into a super-hero after downing a can of fizzy drink.

Food and drink sold in vending machines and tuck shops in schools must not contain more than 200 calories in a single unit, nor exceed a stated maximum level of saturated fat, trans fatty acids, salt, sugar, caffeine or other stimulants.

In preparing the new consumer law, the regional government of Andalucía brought together committees of parents, teachers, health workers and patients, business owners and professional governing bodies such as the College of Pharmacists and College of Lawyer.

According to figures released in the presentation, a total of 16.6% of Andalucía's adult population is clinically obese, as are 15.2% of pregnant women – but children are most at risk, since 23% of the under-18s in Andalucía suffer from obesity.

And health experts fear these numbers could double by the year 2050.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Water

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:29 pm

It would be good if they exrended this to include airports - water fountains dotted around in departures instead of the over-priced imported water ;-)
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Swerve...Well we are what we eat or drink !

Good to see that they are now making more effort to highlight the obesity problem.. :wave:

As for free water in bars and restaurants, as far as I'm aware this 'ruling' has been around a long time in Spain, certainly in the Costa Blanca and Valencia regions , from my own experiences.
I believe that it was a 'Franco' rule, that no one could be refused a free drink of water, and most bars that I remember were quite happy to provide a glass of water, even if not buying anything else.
When I did my 'walk' from Gib. to Lisbon in the early 1960's, I hardly ever paid for food and drink when I called into a bar, or I was charged 1 peseta for a glass of wine and a large tapa...maybe they thought that I was a 'Pilgrim'... :lol:
Regards,
Gordon the Pilgrim...

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Well done Spain its nice to see a good story. I was aware there was some kindof rule but i thought it was mostly for kids or for people that be buying other stuff. I would personally not ask for free water nut nice to see it there for people who need it. I have seen water fountains around Airports, beaches and other places.
Well done Gordon that's a trek....

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:48 pm

It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

maureenscot
Resident

Postby maureenscot » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:42 pm

In Britain too for years now. I always ask for a glass of tap water when I am in restaurants. I like that many of Spain's villages and towns have public fountains. Been grateful for that many a time

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:16 pm

chrissiehope wrote:It would be good if they exrended this to include airports - water fountains dotted around in departures instead of the over-priced imported water ;-)

When were you last in an airport in Andalucia? When I came back to the UK in March, Jerez airport had newly installed water fountains.....

Yet at Stansted after the refurb, all water fountains disappeared and now one has to ask nicely at food outlets for them to fill one's water bottle - something I hate doing as you never know what goes in when they disappear out the back! :thumbdown: This is a bad backward step.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:59 pm

I was in Malaga airport last May ! To be fair, apart from one trip to Alicante before we bought in Andalucia,(which was many years ago), Malaga is the only Spanish airport I use, and that did have water fountains years ago, but they disappeared fairly swiftly :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

qe2ex
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby qe2ex » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:56 pm

Bringing up this old topic since I'm new here and getting a bit annoyed about the practice here. ;-)

How does this work now? Whenever I ask for water at a restaurant, I get bottled water at EUR 1-3 per bottle. I drink tap water at the house, so don't see any problem with drinking the same tap water at the restaurant, but don't see anyone else drinking water without a bottle in restaurants.

Back "home" when I respond with "just water", I get free tap water (which tastes a lot better than the tap water here, but maybe that's just because I'm used to it?).
Last edited by qe2ex on Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Floriana
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Floriana » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:12 pm

I believe in Andalusia now all ventas, bars, restaurants must provide free drinking water by law - this is often from a machine which is fine (and preferable so you know where its coming from). If they don't, ask why not. https://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/3 ... equirement

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:22 am

chrissiehope wrote:I was in Malaga airport last May ! To be fair, apart from one trip to Alicante before we bought in Andalucia,(which was many years ago), Malaga is the only Spanish airport I use, and that did have water fountains years ago, but they disappeared fairly swiftly :-(
Malaga has free water in main part and in T2. I use them all the time. Heading for T3 on the left and in T2 on the right hand side far end over looking runway.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:29 am

I read in the Olive Press that some had been charged 50 cents for an ice cube! Was charged €4 for olives at a chiringuito in Cabopino.