anyone have a recipie for preparing fresh olives?

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

anyone have a recipie for preparing fresh olives?

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:46 am

i´ve bought some and i wondered what i should do with them. at the moment i have been told to slit them on one side and put them in a bottle/jar with water and some garlic and peppers an that, andchange the water every day? does this sound right? seems like a waste of good "juice" to me ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

cannydanny

Re: anyone have a recipie for preparing fresh olives?

Postby cannydanny » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:14 am

Spanish, if they're green (young and unripe) don't slit them, just **** a hole in the top,marinate them in cold water, a little sea salt and white pepper, put them in the fridge for about a week and DON'T change the water.
If they're black (ripened olives) marinate them in Extar virgin olive oil (the first pressing has less than 1% free fatty acid) one clove of garlic and a little sea salt, both these recipes require refrigeration for about one week, and you will get a better result if you dont cover them, ie in a screw top jar, just leave the container open!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:23 am

There are generally 3 parts to curing olives.
The 1º part is to get rid of the "amargo" bitterness.
This is done by soaking in water with some caustic soda and sugar for about 10 days..if the skin is cut less than this...if you dont want to use soda then the water has to be changed daily...
2º part is to rinse about 4/5 times.
3º part is to bottle with salt and water and add local herbs and lemon pieces, you can make up your own choice of herbs, or use the local popular ones.
They say to judge the right amount of salt in the water one should place an egg in water then add salt till the egg rises..
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

cannydanny

Postby cannydanny » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:02 pm

Silver, I wouldn't normally question another's recipe, after all we all have different tastes, but, isn't caustic soda used for clearing out drains, and won't it kill you?

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:06 pm

I wonder if he means bicarbonite of soda-would be a little less stressful on the stomach!? :?
Donna

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:08 pm

caustic soda used for clearing out drains
YES "sosa cautica"
won't it kill you?
No..spos it come out in the rinse bit....I know an OLD lady... who has done it all her life..maybe its kept her drains clear :lol:

cannydanny

Postby cannydanny » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:54 pm

Well, they say one mans meat is another mans poison, in this case it could be literal, I'll investigate further, because i'm interested, btw, the old lady you speak of, she's not a multiple widow is she??

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:47 pm

silver wrote:There are generally 3 parts to curing olives.
The 1º part is to get rid of the "amargo" bitterness.
This is done by soaking in water with some caustic soda and sugar for about 10 days..if the skin is cut less than this...if you dont want to use soda then the water has to be changed daily...
2º part is to rinse about 4/5 times.
3º part is to bottle with salt and water and add local herbs and lemon pieces, you can make up your own choice of herbs, or use the local popular ones.
They say to judge the right amount of salt in the water one should place an egg in water then add salt till the egg rises..
ahhh, silver, it looks like i was told this recipie :) i am only using water tho, and have had them soaking for 4 days. should i add some sugar ? i dont really want to use caustic soda if it can be avoided.

do u rinse 4 or 5 times on day 10?

i take it i can bottle them on day ten?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

chicdiz
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dealing with olives.

Postby chicdiz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:19 pm

This is a tried and tested recipe from my friend in Greece, who uses black Kalamata olives, but also prepares her own green ones from her grove:

For black olives, cut them: for green ones, crack them. For both, soak in water and change the water every 2 days until when you sink your teeth in one and don't go "ugh it's bitter".

Next make a marinade ....for every 2.25 kilos of olives add 300ml red wine vinegar, 8 oz. salt, quarter pint of olive oil and water to cover three-quarters of the container(s) which shouldn't be see through and should have sealed tops.

That's the basic marinade recipe but for the extra wow factor, add garlic, bay leaves and cumin seeds for black olives and add chopped carrot and celery for the green 'uns. It's then like a sort of tapas.

I did these last year and they were great. Happy pickling and eating.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:23 pm

An old guy told me never use tap water.

cannydanny

Re: anyone have a recipie for preparing fresh olives?

Postby cannydanny » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:47 pm

cannydanny wrote:Spanish, if they're green (young and unripe) don't slit them, just **** a hole in the top,marinate them in cold water, a little sea salt and white pepper, put them in the fridge for about a week and DON'T change the water.
If they're black (ripened olives) marinate them in Extar virgin olive oil (the first pressing has less than 1% free fatty acid) one clove of garlic and a little sea salt, both these recipes require refrigeration for about one week, and you will get a better result if you dont cover them, ie in a *beep* top jar, just leave the container open!
That would be a S.crew top jar :roll: :roll: :roll:

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:21 pm

cannydanny wrote: isn't caustic soda used for clearing out drains, and won't it kill you?
Yes it is. It is also used in oven cleaners and it can kill you if it is ingested in a concentrated form.

It is not actually poisonous - just highly corrosive. In fact it is a well known food additive in small amounts.

It's a bit like Hydrochloric Acid - your stomach is full of it but drinking a bottle of the concentrated stuff wouldn't be too clever!

The amount left over in an olive would not do any harm at all. Most commercial processes for olives use it as it is the quickest way of getting the bitterness out.

Sid

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:36 pm

do u rinse 4 or 5 times on day 10?
You rinse 4/5 times, once the olive has lost its bitterness according to your own taste so the day could be any day from 5/10 day.
There are something like 500 different types of olives..and a lot more recipes than that..
once you reach the 3º part (aliño) dressing..you can add any herb, garlic, chilly peppers, oregano, thyme, hinojo...whatever you fancy.
For those who use sosa..a teaspoon (pre dissolved in water) per kilo olives.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:55 pm

Sosa Cautica is also used to clean bottles, to peel fruit and veg (tin and frozen), and make soap..

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:19 am

To all with olive trees...Get oil from your olives...find your local "molino de aceite" Olive mill...there you will be able to change your olives for olive oil.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:10 am

My preference is to let a local guy come and pick them, he comes with his own hand made ladder (Only 4 olive trees) picks them and comes back with several jars for us. Some plain and some with garlic and herbs.

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:35 pm

You've really hit the spot now with your talk of "local guys" and "home made ladders", I just adore good olives though, (especially the salty ones)
I find if they've been marinated in virgen olive oil they make the passage much smoother, don't you?

lorraine
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lorraine » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Sorry but for me there is only one treatment for olives and its usually lined with a black sack!!

laclotte
Resident

Postby laclotte » Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:08 pm

Silver,
I joined the forum some weeks ago - asked one question and then sat back and waited. Was this whole forum a 'joke', could I ever expect any 'words of wisdom' (and help) from the replies?
Your 'olive' reply astounds me in its absolute accuracy. You certainly know your olives! Most people shy at the word 'caustic soda' however your explanation is perfectly correct. Have done your method for many years and am still alive to tell the tale!
Chapeau!
PS to all other members - although we speak English (not nec. as first language) it does not necessarily mean that we all have lived in England. I have never set a foot in your country. Please remember that other, English speaking members, are also looking for some good advice from time to time.
- You don't get harmony when everybody sings the same note -

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:45 am

laclotte...merci enchanté :)