Gambas pil-pil

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Gambas pil-pil

Postby Fletch » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:43 pm

Have a bit of a hankering for Gambas pil-pil as we`re not back over to Competa for a few weeks, does anyone know the recipe?
We used to get it in Bar Antonio in Canillas de Albaida and it was delicious as it was cooked in some type of hot red (tabasco?) sauce rather than just olive oil.

Thanks in advance
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:05 pm

The term pil-pil refers to the small fiery red chilli in which the prawns are cooked, you can buy it in most supermarkets fresh between June and Sept otherwise dried!

Fletch
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Fletch » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:10 pm

thanks Sid...

...otherwise is it just V hot olive oil and a bit of salt?
Is it hot here, or is it just me?

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:25 pm

Hi Fletch

Doubt this is a "prefect" receipe, but this is how I make gambas pil-pil & it tastes pretty god........

Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt with the prawns, cover & stick in the fridge for 1/2 an hour.
Heat 3 tablespoons of butter with the olive oil. When foaming, add 3 cloves of garlic & the chili and cook, stir it for 1 about a minute, or until golden.
Add prawns & cook for about 5 min or until they curl up and change colour. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of paprika & serve with plenty of bread for dipping in the garlicky oil, yumm yumm.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:01 pm

Sounds good to me, of course you'd need a few beers to smooth the
edges!

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:07 pm

I would prefer to drink fino with pil-pil, manzanilla from sanlucar is good. Posh-totti your recipe sounds fine. I really like the bottom to be burnt so it needs scraping up.

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:25 pm

I tried that once in Mijas Playa but they refused to serve it in a pint glass!!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:49 am

For gambas pilpil you need to peel uncooked prawns or scamp, and stir fry with sliced garlic and a whole chilly pepper (one per person) in olive oil add salt to taste.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:08 pm

Syd Barrett wrote:The term pil-pil refers to the small fiery red chilli in which the prawns are cooked, you can buy it in most supermarkets fresh between June and Sept otherwise dried!
Usually dried chillis are used. Fresh chillis are surprisingly difficult to find in Spain - I grow my own.

Pil-Pil or Pili-Pili are the terms used in French/Spanish countries. Piri-Piri is the same thing used in countries which speak Portugese.

Sid

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:14 pm

Katy if you like dry sherry have you tried Gomara Seco, a Malaga sherry type wine? It's also delicious.
Grouser

zanuck
Resident

Gambas Pil-Pil

Postby zanuck » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:20 pm

Fletch,
You know that Bar Antonio isn't there now? Antonio let it to one of the sons from Bar El Loro that used to be in Competa. Suprisingly Antonio's is now called El Loro.
Antonio owns and runs the Hotel immediately above his old bar, unfortunately no restaurant, so no Gambas Pil-Pil anymore. Bar Cerezo in the lower part of the village does Pil-Pil, different to how Antonio cooked it; a bit "wetter" if you see what I mean.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:26 am

Grouser, thanks for the tip, will try Gomara seco, didn't realise the málaga region produced a dry one.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:44 pm

katy wrote:Grouser, thanks for the tip, will try Gomara seco, didn't realise the málaga region produced a dry one.
Nor me, thought it was all that sweet stuff! Like you, a manzanilla (La Guita, Solear etc)always goes down well. If you like a dry fino type wine, this is one by the people that produce Solear, made from the palomino grape. Cheap, but I quite like it.
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-18610928--_JM

This is how they describe the Gomara, not sure about the fresh yeast!

Amarillo pajizo, notas de frutos secos y cereales con un delicado fondo de levaduras frescas. Ligero, con toque salino y agradable paso de boca.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:31 pm

Another pil pil dish is Bacalao (cod)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.