Source for seed potatos?

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
geegee
Resident

Source for seed potatos?

Postby geegee » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:13 am

Anyone know where you can buy (preferably organic) seed potatos, onion sets? Whether a specialsit supplier or a garden centre? I have tried all the viveros and an agricultural supplier in and around Antequera but willing to travel for the good of the veg patch!

Any advice appreciated.

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:02 am

geegee

You might be a bit early for seed potatoes. We normally get ours around easter time, try the local greengrocers as well.

You might be a bit late on the onion sets we got ours in before Xmas from the local market.

If you try in Loja it has a large garden/ pet supply shop nr the Gran Capitan bridge. If you cant find it ask for Hnos Cuesta or Agrohens.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:36 pm

:D I get mine from "Agroplus" behind Supersol,near the Dinosaurs, in Alhaurin De La Torre. 8) Got mine before Christmas and they are nicely chitted now, I shall be planting them as soon as the soil drys a bit. They have both whites and reds and sets and Strawberry plants I saw today!

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:55 pm

Ah, Alhaurin it is - thanks Country Boy!!

No joy in local shops (they don't get their seed pots until MAY - later than uk - weird!) nor the big Loja vivero, but did buy 8 fruit trees there so not a wasted trip. Will keep my eye on the markets as well, ta.

Nige
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Nige » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:32 pm

Seed potatoes came into English nurseries at the beginning of January. The earlies like Arran Pilot would be ready for planting v. soon. So I am wondering why seed potatoes are not available NOW in Andalucia. Growing
season must be several weeks earlier than England.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:22 am

why seed potatoes are not available NOW in Andalucia
Not many locals plant potatoes.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

olivefarmer
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby olivefarmer » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:00 pm

I agree with silver. Those that do, plant new potatoes around easter time for use in the summer.

Olivefarmer

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:06 pm

For those still wanting them, both red and white seed pots are still available in Agroplus in Alhaurin de la Torre - see previous post from Country Boy - got 2 year old asparagus crowns there too and onion sets , but not the usual mini dried onion you buy in the UK, but small plants grown from seed.

I expect the costa outlets are more geared to the ex-pat's strange demands than the campo shops round my way!

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:15 pm

:D There 'y go...told you...this is the real Spain LOL

jane grant

Postby jane grant » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:14 am

Our locals do grow potatoes for personal use, so I asked one where to get seed potatoes from - result I was given more than I needed, a lesson on when to plant and a lot of stick about the Jack Russell I was walking who happened to be wearing a coat. (Not ours I hasten to add - we were dog sitting 'El raton con el abrigito' for a friend!)