Self-Raising Flour & Plain Flour

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Sharon Widdison
Andalucia.com Amigo

Self-Raising Flour & Plain Flour

Postby Sharon Widdison » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:34 pm

Could someone please tell me what to look for in the supermarkets when I am trying to buy flour.

I can´t remember what I tried last week but the scones I made were sad in the middle and like rock cakes on the outside!!
Thanks, Sharon

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:39 pm

8) If you go to Supersol supermarkets you can buy English Flour quite easily :lol:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:18 pm

I find it's best (and cheaper) to buy plain flour, harina de trigo, and baking powder, levadura, separately. That way you know how much raising agent you're getting in your mix!

Shukran
Resident

Postby Shukran » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:03 pm

I've found Spanish SR flour in some supermarkets (excluding Mercadona). It's called Harina De Trigo con Levadura. Otherwise I, like hillybilly, buy Harina de Trigo and a box of Levadura en Polvo.

Mind you, I made some scones yesterday and to get a really good rise I used SR flour and also added 1 teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda and 2 teaspoons of Cream of Tartar. Overdose I know, but they rise well!
Since I gave up hope I feel much better!