Factory Farming

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Grouser
Resident

Factory Farming

Postby Grouser » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:49 pm

I have been eating meat in Spain and thinking that as they have a more traditional way of life there I don't need to worry about the provenance of the food. However it occurs to me that just because I haven't seen any nasty looking rows of sheds called Unit 537 or similar doesn't mean they don't exist. I realise that as far as livestock goes, apart from goats, sheep and the occasional pig there ain't that many animals round and about where I go anyway. So where does the meat come from? Is there factory farming in Andalusia or is it local and free range? Where do the rabbits I eat from time to time come from? Are they wild or farmed?
Also I've spotted what looks like a fish farm on the coast coming out from Malaga. Anyone know what they grow there?
Grouser

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 pm

The only way to produce cheap chickens is factory farming. Most of the chickens for sale in Spanish shops will be farmed. The more expensive yellow corn fed ones might be different but I doubt it. Also do not assume that they come from Spain - there is a huge export market in chickens from all over the world - they might even be Chinese!

Goats are probably the most "free range" meat available and a few local sheep but they do not find their way to the shops - the locals get them first from the farmer. You will find some goat in the big markets but it is pretty rare in the supermarkets.

Rabbits are farmed - and probably not locally. There are very few wild rabbits in Spain due to disease - that's why the Iberian Lynx is dying out - no wild rabbits to eat.

Fish are farmed extensively locally and there are also farmed imports from elsewhere in the Med such as Greece. You can buy Dorada (Sea Bream) and Lubina (Sea Bass) anywhere for about 6-8 euros/kg. These are all farmed. If you find a line caught Sea Bass it will cost about 35 euros/kg.

Susi
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Susi » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:55 am

I can't speak for the whole of Spain, but there are plenty of rabbits around us.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:19 pm

Perhaps someone should tell the Lynx :D

Seriously though, if anyone is interested there is a good article about the Iberian Lynx problem at http://tinyurl.com/s6us8

Sid

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:32 pm

Thaks for the info Sid. More depressing than I thought. It will narrow down the menu choices a bit when I dine out.
Grouser

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:33 pm

there are plenty of rabbits around us
There used to be a lot more...tierra de conejos (land of rabbits) is where the name españa came from.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.