Treating Earthenware Dishes Before First Use

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
zanuck
Resident

Treating Earthenware Dishes Before First Use

Postby zanuck » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:33 pm

I've done a search, and the answer must be here on the forum somewhere..........

I've bought some earthenware cooking dishes - brown, glazed on the inside, round, rectangular; I'm sure that they need to be treated before using for the first time in the oven. Rubbing with garlic comes to mind, but I'm sure there was more to it than that.

Can anyone advise me please?

Thanks.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:47 pm

They should be OK to use after a simple wash.

When you put them away after use make sure they are really dry as the cheaper ones can easily get a lot of mildew on them as the glaze is inferior.

Sid

nevada smith

Postby nevada smith » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:18 am

my wife,
with guidance from the locals,
has always submerged them in water -
they will give off streams of 'cava' bubbles and whistle & sing a bit -
after the 'concert' let 'em dry in the sun
and they're ready for use...

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:17 am

The advice that came with a set I bought was to soak them in water for an hour the first few times you use them in the oven to prevent cracking.

zanuck
Resident

Postby zanuck » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:53 pm

Many thanks for the fast response, looks like a combination of washing/soaking should do the trick.

spain_pam
Tourist

Postby spain_pam » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:49 pm

I´ve an earthenwear crockpot type thing I´ve had it for at least 25 years and the instructions said never to put it into a hot oven, only a cold oven and let it heat up with the oven and never to use washing liquid etc. I usually soak my pot in very hot water and rub it with a metal scourer. Then let it dry naturally. Also it said never to mix flavours eg fish / meat keep a different dish unless you want all your cooking with a fish flavour!

Brigitta
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Brigitta » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:16 pm

I am assuming you are talking about 'cazuelas'...

First, soak them in cold water for at least 3 hours. Then gradually heat them up ( stove top or oven ), but make sure there is always some liquid in them. I have done this to all of mine, and have cooked shrimp in olive oil on a gas stove ( exposed to direct flame), and never had any problem.

estepona
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby estepona » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:05 pm

Some Spanish friends of ours use theirs directly on the barbeque for cooking a prawn dish. They soak it for 3 hours, but then it is straight on to a direct heat, not warmed first.