Salmonella in eggs

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
Valencia_Paul
Resident

Postby Valencia_Paul » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:17 pm

Oh dear - we are off to Spain on Tuesday and I normally have a couple of soft boiled eggs for breakfast! Are they safer hard-boiled?

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:10 am

Salmonella in eggs has been around for ages. Does no one remember the time when Edwina Currie got into trouble for admitting it.

Even now in the UK, 8% of eggs are infected. Think about it! If you eat eggs regularly you have almost certyainly eaten infected eggs.

Did you die? No!

We have eggs here every weekend, and are both fine. The very old, and very young are at some risk, but the rest, probably not.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:26 pm

Alan-LaCala wrote:
Even now in the UK, 8% of eggs are infected. Think about it! If you eat eggs regularly you have almost certyainly eaten infected eggs.

8%, yes. but that compares with more than 50% in Spain. So what are you suggesting, that we do what Spain has done, absolutely nothing, and just leave things as they are?
Did you die? No!

You didn't, and I didn't, but several have. So long as it's not you or me, that's fine, do nothing about it.

We have eggs here every weekend, and are both fine. The very old, and very young are at some risk, but the rest, probably not.

So why not innoculate chickens and reduce the risk even further, it's not difficult to do. I find it very odd that you find it acceptable for the young and old to be at risk, and would propose to do nothing to lessen their chances. I'm all right Jack! Unless they do something, you might be one of those at risk when you get "very old".

Alan
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:29 pm

frank wrote:So why not innoculate chickens and reduce the risk even further, it's not difficult to do. I find it very odd that you find it acceptable for the young and old to be at risk, and would propose to do nothing to lessen their chances. I'm all right Jack! Unless they do something, you might be one of those at risk when you get "very old"
It seems simple enough to me - if you are worried about the risk then don't eat undercooked eggs.

Sid

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:42 pm

Unfortunately, most of those affected, the young and the old, often don't have a lot of say in what they eat. Many cases have been in old folks home, where they eat what they are told, other cases have been at functions with caterers, where you have no idea what goes into the food. The vast majority of cases don't take place in the home. As far as I know, Spanish eggs are not allowed to be sold here in the shops, they can only be sold to catering establishments.
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:11 pm

frank wrote: As far as I know, Spanish eggs are not allowed to be sold here in the shops, they can only be sold to catering establishments.
Well I'm sorry Frank, but this forum is about Andalucia not the UK.

If the Spanish are happy with the situation, and I have not seen any evidence to suggest that thay are not, then I for one, will get on with my life in Spain and eat eggs if I choose.

Sid
Last edited by El Cid on Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:18 pm

There was a case recently (April) at Montemedio, costa de la luz when most of a wedding party came down with some bug. My husband caught salmonella about ten years ago here in spain, he spent 5 days in hospital, on a drip and lost 9 kilos in weight. Not just eggs, I don't eat any undercooked meat. All these fads such as pink duck are unhealthy, a friend asked for a medium rare steak last week and they had obviously taken it out of the freezer and just seared the outside, it was raw and frozen in the middle, enough to turn anyone into a vegetarian.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:35 pm

katy wrote: Not just eggs, I don't eat any undercooked meat.
Dead right Katy - most cases of Salmonella are linked to basic food hygeine and preparation. You are far more likely to get it from an undercooked steak handled by someone who is already infected who hasn't washed their hands.

Sid

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:45 pm

While on holiday spoke to another guest at hotel who worked in her local authority health dept as an inspector and she said you were more likely to get food poisoning from rice that had been cooled down than meat.

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:46 pm

I find it very odd that you find it acceptable for the young and old to be at risk, and would propose to do nothing to lessen their chances. I'm all right Jack!
Yet agaiyou get it wrong Frank.

Nowhere do I suggest that nothing should be done. My point is that thisis not new; we have been trhere before.

If we refridgerate our eggs, there should be little problem.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:23 pm

but Silver seems to want to question where this came from
I was refering to this bit frank
which they don´t do in Spain
Oh dear - we are off to Spain on Tuesday and I normally have a couple of soft boiled eggs for breakfast! Are they safer hard-boiled?
Well you have to drive to get to the airport..dangerous..carefull on the stairs..then get on a plane...dangerous..so go ahead a have a couple of soft boiled eggs for breakfast! (only if you bring with you the ones with a lion on from England)..its safer :)
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:25 pm

...and now for dessert, salmonella in chocolate. Great!

Cadbury withdraws chocolate over salmonella fears
(Filed: 23/06/2006)

More than a million Cadbury chocolate bars have been taken off the shelves over fears they may be contaminated with salmonella.

The company said it had agreed to recall seven of its most popular products in the UK after consultation with the Food Standards Agency, but said that anyone who had eaten a chocolate bar over the past few days should not be concerned.

A spokesman said: "The levels are significantly below the standard that would be any health problem, but we are taking this measure as a precaution.

"If there are people who have eaten one of these chocolate bars today they should not worry, but they can get in touch with us if they are concerned for a full refund."

The affected products are the 250g Dairy Milk Turkish, Dairy Milk Caramel and Dairy Milk Mint bars, the Dairy Milk 8 chunk, the 1kg Dairy Milk bar, the 105g Dairy Milk Buttons Easter Egg, and the 10p Freddo bar.

The spokesman said: "This is being done purely as a precautionary measure, as some of these products may contain minute traces of salmonella.

"Cadbury has identified the source of the problem and rectified it, and is taking steps to ensure these particular products are no longer available for sale."

He said: "Cadbury expects to have fresh stocks of these products back on the market in the near future."

The spokesman added that the company had been manufacturing chocolate for more than 100 years, and always treated public wellbeing as its "highest priority".

The free helpline number for Cadbury is 0800 818181. Uneaten products should be returned to Cadbury Recall, Freepost MID20061, Birmingham B3O 2QZ, and a refund will be given.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Thanks, we just ate a large cadburys mint bar today :shock:

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:42 pm

So if we don't hear from you for a while....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:43 pm

Steer clear of the chocolate eggs.

I heard that their entire flock of chocolate chickens is infected.

Sid

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:04 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:04 am

I reckon Beckham indulged in a sneaky Cadbury's Creme Egg before the match with Ecuador....