Prickly Pears

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
country boy
Andalucia Guru

Prickly Pears

Postby country boy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:09 pm

:? They're gathering Prickly Pears around us like they are Manna from Heaven: I've asked our local Goat man and he says they're horrid so what do they do with them.
I've looked at Google for recipes and am not impressed so any one in the know I'm all ears........ :lol:

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:37 pm

If someone who can prepare them for the table, try them. If not, stay at least one metere away in case one of the small hairs on the fruit get you -an excrutiating painful rash will take days to clear.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:19 pm

All my lot eat these pears...I have see someone eat 22 one after the other...they are good for you... first put on some plastic gloves...once picked...normally using a long stick with a piece of cane at the end slit open like a round fork.. the pear is pushed into the cone shaped fork and twisted ... brush with a broom..then rinse...then with a knife cut off ends..cut a line in remaining pear and turn back each side..get someone else to pull the inside out leaving the prickly skin behind...place in fridge and eat when cold...There is someone growing in Murcia who got a lot of recipes from Mexico..they make ice cream, and other things including a kind of coffee substitute that sells well in health shops.. they are also used as animal fodder :lol:
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:12 pm

The person you saw eat 22 :shock: did you see that person the day after? My cousin ate too many at once and was constipated for days - had to do to hospital in the end - too many of these things give you constipation so beware. They are delicious though :D
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

winkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby winkie » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:44 pm

Our Spanish friend calls them "Chumbo" he has a long rod with a round can shaped attachment that picks them from the top of the cactus, then using a knife he peels them with expertise avoiding the spines, inside the flesh is delicious.
Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you are absolutely right.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:34 am

The person you saw eat 22 Shocked did you see that person the day after?
Yes..no problem..could depend on the person as well..I have even been told about a fella who gets through twice as many..but all ways has a anise liqueur after..
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Sandramay
Resident

chumbas

Postby Sandramay » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:24 pm

A fairly easy way to deal with prickly pears/chumbas is, pick them wearing leather gardening gloves, then (still wearing the gloves) rub them in a box of fine sand. Wash the fruit and enjoy. My Spanish neighbour tells me the red fruiting variety is superior. However he doesn't eat them, he chops the plants and fruits to feed to his organically fed pig............
Sandramay

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:52 pm

rub them in a box of fine sand.
My neighbour says rub them with some newspaper to gt rid of the spines.

Will be trying it this weekend as some of ours look ripe.

If no posts for 2 days, someone call a doctor.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

winkie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby winkie » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Would you believe it taking a stroll down the local high street and saw a punnet of prickly pears £1.99. Next they will be selling them in Sainsburys.
Whether you believe you can, or whether you believe you can't, you are absolutely right.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:12 pm

There is a huge long hedge of ' chumbas' growing alongside our house and a local lady has been there quite a few times picking them- each time she had a wheel barrow load!

caroig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caroig » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:43 pm

I'm pretty sure that the plants are called either 'chumberas' or 'higueras chumbas'. I've always known the fruit as 'higos chumbos'.
In Cabo de gata (and probably a lot of other areas of Andalucia), they used to used them to cultivate the cochinilla beetle (food colouring). Round here (Valencia) I've also heard them referrred to as 'sh*t eaters' - apparently they hasten the disappearance of this sort domestic waste and most houses in the country had a patch.
Quite pleasant, lots of seeds and curiously salty - well that's my experience anyway.

toddcl
Resident

Postby toddcl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:44 pm

There has been medical interest in the Prickly Pear plant. Some studies have shown that the pectin contained in the Prickly Pear pulp lowers levels of "bad" cholesterol while leaving "good" cholesterol levels unchanged. Another study found that the fibrous pectin in the fruit may lowers diabetics' need for insulin. Both fruits and pads of the prickly pear cactus are rich in slowly absorbed soluble fibers that help keep blood sugar stable. There are on going studies and at this point there are no proven results on humans. You can make your own study and see if works for you, which is the only test that really counts.

The prickly pear fruit normally ripens and is ready for harvest during the late summer and early fall months. When gathering the fruit, wear leather or rubber gloves to avoid contact with the cactus needles. They are a nuisance, especially the tiny soft-appearing barbs of glochids on the fruit itself. The glochids are very difficult to remove if you get them in your skin. A long-handled tong can also be used to pick the fruit from the cactus. Once you have harvested the fruit, you will need to remove the glochids by passing the fruit through an open flame or shaking the fruit in a bag of hot coals. The glochids can also be removed by cutting them away with a knife or peeling off the skin. Once the fruit is removed from the cactus, it will rapidly lose nutritional value and may ferment, so try to consume or process soon after harvesting.
Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated into the collective

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:50 pm

whatever you say about them they smell bloody awful when left in the kitchen.