Sotogrande International School

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
costacab
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costacab » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:11 pm

Does anyone have any experience of Sotogrande international school?Aside from the academics, are the children friendly and what are they like for sport? My two boys are sports mad and leaving good friends and successful teams is proving to be the biggest issue with our move.

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:33 am

I believe the school is being sold at the moment. This might be a good thing as their entry fee at the moment is ridiculous. There is also a new school being built in Alcaidesa which is also a good thing as the Sotogrande one needs the competition. They have the monopoly at the moment! I will let you know more when I do.

The school’s commitment to outdoor and physical education is reflected in the sports facilities which include a large multi-purpose sports hall, 25m swimming pool and an all-weather sports pitch and running track.

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:55 pm

An Update. Sotogrande International School is being purchased by a Spanish Company that has 6 other schools on the coast. They are also building a school in Alcaidesa which will apparently be Spanish with English lessons.

costacab
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costacab » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks Lola2.

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:59 pm

S.I.S. is an excellent school - our daughter taught there before returning to the U.K.
They pay their teachers proper wages, DO pay Social Security and also give PROPER employment contracts. [Unlike plenty of other International schools on the coast].
The treatment of their staff is reflected by the lower than average, for the sector, turnover of teachers, which cannot be anything but good for the children.

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:52 pm

It may well be a good school. I dont really know either way. I have heard a lot of bad reports, not too many good ones. If I was interested in sending my children I would research and make my own decision. My main interest is what on earth the 'endowment policy' payment of somewhere around €5000 that you had to pay upon entry to the school? Plus the fees and the deposit.

aishaelena
Tourist

Postby aishaelena » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 am

Lola, I was very interested in your comments about Sotogrande being taken over by a company which owns other schools. If it is a company that owns schools in Alicante there has been quite a bad press about how they manage them. Has anyone else got any news on this? Sotogrande was a "not for profit" school, so it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

lou36e
Tourist

SIS

Postby lou36e » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:11 am

Just to update : The school isn't being sold.