Advice on schooling for a three year old

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
ex patriot 66
Andalucia.com Amigo

Advice on schooling for a three year old

Postby ex patriot 66 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 pm

My son is Three and just started Spanish state school in Fuengirola in September, his talking is not proficient and his teacher doesn't speak any English , I think he might struggle to come to terms with both languages at the same time ,at such a young age. Many people have just told us things take time ,but he still gets upset about going to school but when I collect him he always looks happy ,he is quite a reserved child and doesn't get much of an opportunity to mix with children away from school and this the teacher tells us is one of the problems ,we take him to the park but he is quite happy to play on his own even when there's children there.
Is there are any clubs or groups he could attend at the weekends ,he enjoys swimming and is full of energy . Your comments will be gratefully received

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:15 pm

My son will be 3 in Feb therefore starting school next September and I think we will have the same problem. His speech is very delayed and while he has started to construct sentences now he is still quite difficult to understand. There is a website for mums www.mumsinspain.com and another www.manilvamums.com where you could find out where there are toddler groups in your area although they would probably be during school time. You could also arrange to meet up with mums who have kids the same age.

Remember that children of that age often learn much more from adults than their peers so try letting him mix with lots of adults too. Most of all don't worry too much he will get there :D :D

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:49 pm

ex pat , i don't think you have anything to worry about. By the time he is 4 here will be mixing and as fluent as any other kid of that age.. i would not pull him out and put him in a english school if i was you, we have friends who put there boys straight into spanish school in malaga at 3 and they are now fluent. (6 yrs old). It may be hard for a start but it will be well worth it.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:31 am

My son started at the local Spanish school when he was 3, within a month of arriving here, spoke no Spanish,no other English in the School, his teachers 2nd language was French, I think I was and still am more concerned than him!. He is now 8 and at the begining of term before the controls started (exams- which are done monthly it seems)his teacher went in great detail of how bi lingual children might be little behind and that this would reflect in his results, but to date he is averaging 7 and out 10 and loves going to school and his teacher has no concerns.
Last edited by pilgrim on Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

continued...

Postby pilgrim » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:14 pm

got called away half way through posting, my son was very shy reserved and on more then one occasion had to be dragged off me screaming.... but was happy when I collected him, (I worked with preschool children in UK so had seen this many times) he has got a friend who's family have taken him under their wing, makes sure he attends all the celebrations, both local and family as they say he is now Spanish and must know the Spanish way of life, traditions and customs of which they are very proud. Makes sure I always know whats going on at school and who to see if I need to see anyone.The Black Prince leaves a present at their house for our son and father christmas leaves their son a present at our house. I don't think they realise how grateful we are to them, though she has told me that her son is going to England with us all the time when he is older- So my turn will come! We load them up with lots of English chocolates and cakes of which their huge extended family request for the family celebrations :D

ex patriot 66
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ex patriot 66 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:11 pm

Thank you all for your replies , I hope as you replies suggest that it is only a matter of time and patience