Teacher wanted for dyslexic 15 year old

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Teacher wanted for dyslexic 15 year old

Postby Coin Boy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:32 am

I'm a Chartered Educational Psychologist living in Spain. I'm looking for a skilled and experienced teacher for a 15-year-old British boy at an international school on the coast who I recently diagnosed as dyslexic. Further information will be available in confidence to those who can show that they need it.

If anyone feels able to take on this work and lives within travelling distance of Marbella, please contact me in confidence by private message and inciude a career summary, your charging rate and a contact telephone number. I shall then discuss any responses with the parents. If you know someone who could do this work, please tell them about this message.

Thanks in anticipation

Marina
Resident

Dyslexia tuition.

Postby Marina » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:44 pm

I'm sorry that I can't help with your search for a dyslexia teacher in Marbella but I just wanted to let you know that should you come accross anyone with dyslexia on the eastern Costa del Sol, I may be able to help.

Occasionally I have been asked by parents if there is anywhere they can have their child tested in Spain. Is this something that you generally do?

Kind regards,

Marina.
Last edited by Marina on Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Dyslexia tuition.

Postby Coin Boy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:23 pm

As a qualified teacher, I work on supply for St George's International School Malaga, and have recently trained to use the Indirect Dyslexia Learning System. I am based between Torre del Mar and Torrox and am currently looking for pupils in this area.

The web address for information on the IDL system and my own website are www.idlsystem.co.uk and www.dyslexia-mez.com

Occasionally I have been asked by parents if there is anywhere they can have their child tested in Spain. Is this something that you generally do?

The short answer is yes. I normally work in the UK but with the loss of value of the £ against the €, I'm going to start working here.
I'll send you a private message with more info and perhaps you can do the same as I don't want to use this message board as an advert.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:58 pm

:oops:

I meant to reply by pm but was rushing out and have put it on the general forum by mistake!!!

I've just edited out the bit that could look like I'm trying to advertise, from my post and I expect admin will want to do some tidying up. Sorry.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:12 pm

Sorry to but in but can either of you tell me the very early signs of dyslexia ie pre reading and writing. My son is 3 and 5 months and refuses to even attempt to write his name, something my daughter could do at 2 and 1/2. He is also very clumsy and doesn't grasp things as easily as my other son who is 2 and 2 months for example if i asked the youngest to go in the kitchen and get an apple for me he would go straight to it and come straight back but if I asked the 3 yr old he would say where mum, what apple, where's kitchen etc etc. He was a very slow talker and only in the last few months has he started to put full sentences together.

Am I being an over anxious mum? Is he just not as bright/quick as the other 2? Are there any other signs I should look out for? BTW his dad is dyslexic.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:07 pm

He is still very young and even though he is doing less in comparison to your others, he sounds to be completely within the normal range for his age. However, as his Father has dyslexia, and he has been slow to talk and is clumsy, you are right to be keeping a close eye on him as these are all factors to consider when they are taken together.

Does he enjoy and relate to simple rhymes? Can he learn rhymes? If you say "cat" can he find another word to rhyme with it?
What is he like when dressing? Can he put on socks and shoes?
Can he put together a simple story sequence, ie first this happened, then that happened, then at the end....?

At the moment he is far too young for a formal diagnosis but the good news is that the earlier you become aware that there may be a problem, the earlier you can start to work with it and there is a very good chance that you can mimimise his difficulties. I don't think you are being over anxious at all.

The two most important things at this stage are that you read to him often and that you learn simple rhymes together.

I wouldn't worry at all about getting him to write. He's not ready. Instead stick with drawing and colouring but do watch his pencil grip. If he develops a correct grip at this stage it will be of benefit when he does start to write.

Many people with dyslexia are very bright and creative, so please don't thing that he's not very bright. He could turn out to be a genius!

If you are ever over this way I would be happy to meet up for a coffee and could give you lots of ideas for activities that you could be doing. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:02 pm

It's easy to use terms like over anxious mum but it's natural for parents to be concerned and to draw comparisons between their children even if it's not a good idea to let the children be aware of those comparisons. I've seen many many cases where parents have spent years trying to convince professionals that their children have particular problems and been regarded as over anxious but finally proved right. However, I've also seen many cases where professional advice has properly reassured parents.

Although it is not unusual for educational psychologists to assess children even younger than your son, your son isn't old enough for the sort of assessment you're asking about. The earliest that he could be assessed for dyslexia is 4 1/2 years.

One thing I do in all assessments is to take a full developmental history as well as possibly employ psychological tests and other approaches before offering an opinion. Among other things, I would be interested in knowing whether he was born here or, if he was born elsewhere, when he came to this country and whether he has started a local Spanish school or whether he is in an English-speaking setting full-time.

I agree with Marina's suggestions about reading and reciting simple rhymes. I'd add that the full range of activities that you'd expect to find in the British nursery will be beneficial for him if he's not already receiving them. In addition, the value of the BBC's CBeebies should not be underestimated. It's a very rich source of age-appropriate programmes that will stimulate language in young children, discussion between parents and children and activities. This last point is from the perspective of a monolingual parent of multilingual five-year-old twin boys rather than from my professional experience as a teacher and an educational psychologist.

You've raised the issues of your son being slow to speak and being clumsy suggesting that your concern may not be limited to dyslexia. There are a number of options that are open to you including the local health centre and consultations through any private health insurance you might have that would cover your son. If you contact me through a personal message I might be able to help you.

Good luck

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:49 am

Thanks for your advice both of you, I will try the things you have suggested and keep an eye on things, his speech is now coming on really fast and I would say he is catching up fast with other kids his age....we shall see when he starts school!!!

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:15 pm

It is almost 6 weeks since I started this thread and I have not had a response from any teachers, other than Marina who lives too far away, to help with this problem. I would really appreciate the contact details of anyone within travelling distance of Marbella who would be able and willing to teach this young man.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:36 pm

I've sent you a pm - I hope!

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:25 pm

Thanks Scot. You did send it and I've replied.