Ear piercing for children

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
dido72
Resident

Ear piercing for children

Postby dido72 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:48 pm

Where can I get my daughters ears pierced? I live in Antequera.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:28 am

You might (although I doubt it!) be interested in the following, from a leading medical website:
The best way to prevent infection from piercing or tattoos is not to get one in the first place. Procedures should be performed in a sterile environment by an experienced professional. The person performing the procedure should remove a new needle from the plastic in front of you and should put on a new pair of sterile gloves. Anyone considering a henna tattoo should require proof from the artists that he or she is using pure, safe brown henna, not the unsafe black henna.
Piercing should be completed with smoothly polished jewelry made of 14 or 18 carat gold, titanium, surgical steel or niobium. An allergic reaction can result with the use of jewelry made of brass plate or containing a nickel alloy. Healing time from a piercing range from six months to two years. A piercing should be completed in a sterile environment that uses every precaution to reduce the risk of infection. Excessive force, such as exerting a strong pull, should never be applied to jewelry inserted into pierced body parts to avoid tearing and injuring the tissues.
Key Terms
Endocarditis
Infection of a valve inside the heart.
Hepatitis
Inflammation of the liver.

Questions you may care to ponder on are: why on earth do I want to have holes put in my child's body? Am I certain that the person doing it will thoroughly check that there are no hidden medical reasons (like an undiagnosed heart murmur, for example)why the child should not have the procedure done, and that the greed for the fee will not override health and safety considerations. My partner's granddaughter had such a murmur, and if she had been mutilated in the name of fashion (at the behest of the mother, not the desire from the child) could well have died.
Nature built her, why do something unnecessary to change it?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:45 am

You can often get it done in small jewellery shops or it may be worth asking at your doctors surgery.
If its done with studs with butterfly backs, just make sure that the butterfly is not too tight.
I used to carry out ear piercing and assuming that Dido's daughter wants her ears pierced, in my experience she'll hardly feel a thing, especially as she'll be very excited.I've had people still waiting for it to be carried out when the earings are already in. Falling over and grazing knees gives a child much more of a shock!
Now when it comes to doing men it is a completely different matter. Have you ever wondered why they usually only have one ear done? :wink:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:39 am

dido.The chemists do it !
my son got his done in the spanish chemist of all places.
I didnt believe them when i was told.
:D

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:06 am

The Spanish always (almost) have their baby daughter's ears pierced.

I heard it said that this was so you knew what sex it was when you looked in the pram!

Can anyone else confirm this?

Sid

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:24 am

I heard it said that this was so you knew what sex it was when you looked in the pram!
dont know about that,but i do know the piercing gets done in the hospital when the baby is born,a client of mine had her babies ears pierced not long after it was born while still in hospital.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Peter thanks for taking the time to post that, I am a responsible parent and don't take the decision to mutilate my child lightly, of course I would only take her to somewhere with the highest standards of hygiene and would make sure it is all done properly.

I originally told her that she could have her ears pierced for her 12th birthday when she would be old enough to look after them herself but have changed my mind as it can't do her any harm (unless she has a medical condition we don't know about or it gets infected which I intend to avoid at all costs), it would make her really happy and it would make her the same as every other girl in her class which will be one less difference for her to cope with (English, red hair, green eyes). Also at the age of 6 I will be obliged to clean and look after her ears myself and therefore cutting down on the risk of something going wrong!!

Sid I think that is right that all baby girls have their ears pierced when they are very young so they can be identified as girls. My youngest son was admitted to hospital at 5 days old and had blood test after blood test in his heels and hands, every scream nearly killed me so I can't imagine why anyone would voluntarily want to inflict such pain on a newborn, dress them in pink or blue it is much less painful. In my daughters case she is an intelligent and mature young lady and knows exactly what she is letting herself in for!!!

Thanks guys I will try the chemist :D

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:45 pm

well,Dido!
youd better thank your lucky stars it isnt under her lip she wants doing..my son nagged for weeks,as they all have it done in his scholl(boys and girls),so i thought...mmmm,bit of reverse psychology needed here....yes son,of course you can get it done.... 8) ...soon went off the idea..never mentioned it since. :D :D

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:30 pm

i had my 2 daughters ears pierced at the hospital straight after they were born. it seemed the norm and i wanted them to fit in from the start. the thinking seemed to be that the babies were crying anyway, so piercing them wouldnt make any difference. ideally i would have liked to have waited til they could decide themselves,but now theyre older they are pleased they did as they look like their friends.apart from the blond hair. :lol:

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:21 pm

When my daughter was born, the Spanish side of our family went on about getting her ears pierced. I eventually told them that I had decided they were right and have booked her in ................................to get her belly button pierced! They were horrified! I said why the fuss over one hole when they were trying to persuade me to put two in her? They didn't mention it again. However, at 8 she is now beginning to talk about it and probably will do it some time soon (when she is feeling brave). I think it looks quite nice when it's small studs but don't like any kind of hoopy thingy.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:33 pm

In Italy too the girls' ears are pierced on the maternity ward and nobody suffers any ill effects. My Mum's ears were pierced (some 70 odd years ago) with a hot needle and a cork behind her earlobe!!
It amazes me that so many people have something against ear piercing yet it's OK to stick babies with needles on a regular basis from 2 months of age!!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:13 pm

My ears were pierced by my 10 year old friend with a compass in the school playground!!! :lol:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:53 pm

yikes!

My hubby pierced my dads ear with a needle and an ice cube around 7 years ago(dad was aged 53,squealed like a baby pig!) :lol: :lol: