International schools, costs and performance

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
Trackbikes
Andalucia.com Amigo

International schools, costs and performance

Postby Trackbikes » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Hi My daughter who is 14 (15 in march) has been going to a local spanish school for the past 4 years. Unfortunatly over the last year, moral at the school has noded dived with teachers and pupils leaving in droves. The vast majority of the remaining pupils leave the school as soon as they can.

My daughter wants to go to university and had admitted to us that the chances of getting any qualifications at her current school are negligible. To give you an idea she finished to of her class in lingua in a recent exam.

The only solution i can see is to ship her back to boarding school in the Uk or to move send her to an international school. The problem being I can't find any information on how the schools perform.

I'd also like an indication of costs of the schools. (My father is turning in his grave at the thought of me sending his grandchild to a provate school!!)

Anyone got any help or advice?

Scot
Resident

Re: International schools, costs and performance

Postby Scot » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:35 pm

What part of Spain are you living in? In the UK it's easy to find out how schools are performing but find it difficult here to do a comparison. Don't forget that you have Concertado schools too which are semi private (part funded by the state) and probably best to find a school that continues to age 18. Also consider what subjects your daughter is likely to choose (for example our school has no IT provision after age 16 so we need to move again!). Prices vary - we are in a Spanish private school and pay approx 500 euros per month for my 15 year old (inc lunch but no school bus). However, in Marbella area, some schools are at least double this amount plus an Inscription fee of 3,000 euros.

Trackbikes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trackbikes » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:26 pm

Thanks Scot,

We are in malaga province, inland at the moment but we are prepared to move anywhere if it can ensure her education.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:07 pm

There is a third alternative, Trackbikes, but it would involve a great deal of work on your part and tremendous self discipline from your daughter.
I had to help tutor one of our children via the internet - we were early guinea pigs to the system - she was 15 and we were based in S.America and the only UK curriculum school closed with little notice, due to lack of pupils.
She studied her UK GCSEs via the system, attached to a UK college and sat the exams when we flew back in early summer specifically for her to do them. You can actually apply to sit the exams at a private school here too if you book early enough.
OH and I are both ex school teachers, but I didn't see anything in the curriculum that would be off putting to a lay parent. The work is marked online by tutors and help given by them when needed. Much of the work is self explanatory and some forms part of the overall score process. She scored very well in Spanish as you can imagine.
Your input involves timetabling and ensuring that the workload is carried out strictly to the letter. You pay for the course material and postage and must be a UK citizen.
This was 10 years ago - I imagine the same facility still exists and has probably improved since then. It was introduced because of the ease of the internet which facilitated distance learning. My co tutors were in their first year of the system and it was very interesting for both of us since I was able to give much feedback to help them too. My daughter was successful by the way.

Trackbikes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Trackbikes » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:03 am

Anis,

Have you got any details of where i can get more information about this? I've actually already contacted 3 schools in the Uk that offerer online tutoring.

If the Aussies can do it Via radio can't see why we can't do it via the internet!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:27 am

Have sent you a pm.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:26 am

Could I have details too please? I'm looking at various options for my son. Started to look at UK schools too but seems quite a few already have no spaces for Sept 2008 so need to get my skates on! Thanks.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:46 pm

pm'd you, Scot.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:49 am

Anis thank you - have pm'd you too I hope. If anyone gets an odd message now and again please check with me as theres a good chance I've sent it :oops:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:13 am

Trackbikes wrote:Thanks Scot,

We are in malaga province, inland at the moment but we are prepared to move anywhere if it can ensure her education.

now THAT is a good person.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.