Are International Schools struggling?

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Are International Schools struggling?

Postby lynn111 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:07 pm

We will be sending our children to an International school from next September, and I wondered if anyone had any knowledge of how they are managing in this tough economic climate. I understand Calahonda College has shut (not surprised). Are any of the others struggling. Are student numbers down drastically? I would hate to have to move my kids if we choose a school which subsequently shuts down.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Are International Schools struggling?

Postby katy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:38 pm

My friend works at one Private British school. She says numbers are well down. I don't know if they are struggling though.

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:59 pm

The other concern I have is that if numbers of students are low, schools may reduce the range of subjects taught. We have never paid for education before, and I don't like the thought of being limited in terms of the curriculum offered when we are paying fees for our childrens' education. Whilst we are all extremely positive about the move to Spain, I will definitely miss the fantastic state schools our children attend in the UK. I guess this is comfort to those families returning to the UK at this time.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:23 pm

From what I can see some are struggling and some are not. Possibly the mix of nationalities may have something to do with it.

I have heard of many British families from one particular school, who have or are soon to withdraw their children and move back to the UK. Professional Spanish families seem to be much more stable. Another school I know is thriving and possibly even expanding!

If I was looking for a school at the moment I would definitely choose one that had a low percentage of British pupils.

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:57 pm

Marina,

I'd love to know the school you refer to as 'thriving' although I bet you're not allowed to mention its name! Its so difficult to get a realistic picture of how a school is really doing. No such thing as an OFSTED inspection to help in the decision making!

Are families all moving back to the UK or are children moving to cheaper schools? I was surprised at the difference in fees we were quoted at different schools.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:04 pm

The families I know of are moving back. There aren't any cheaper schools in the area.

I'll send you a PM with more details. It will be tomorrow though as I'm just off out for the evening.

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:45 pm

lynn111 where are you moving to in Spain?

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi Scot,

We are looking at the area around Mijas. As yet, we haven't finalised anything and much will depend on the school we choose to send the children to. I have visited a number of the schools along the coast and have had to reject those nearer to Marbella as they are prohibitively expensive, especially with the current exchange rate.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:11 pm

I don't know if St Anthony's on the Coin-Fuengirola road is still open but in my opinion it shouldn't be...

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Yes, it was open as of last October when I went and visited. Not overly impressed :roll:

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:05 pm

Why pay? The Spanish state schools are just as good. My son, 13 yrs old, is fluent in Spanish and even top in Lengua in his class, all others are Spanish children. There are 8 pupils in his class - gone up from last year - only 7!!

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:21 am

I agree wth Anewlife, send them to Spanish State Schools. Imho, far superior to the 2 'International' Schools I know of (1 aforementioned). Your children will be taught by qualified Teachers.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:35 am

I don't think one size fits all. From what I hear there are a couple of bad private schools on the CDS. There are also some good ones eg. Aloha and English International College where many students go on to good Universities in the UK and Spain. There are also a lot of bad underachieving Spanish state schools and most spanish parents choose to educate their children privately if they can afford it.

My neighbour, a spanish lawyer have sent their son to the English International College as they believe that he will receive a better education there (there is also a spanish private school close by). I don't know if International schools are struggling but there are many other nationalities that choose to send their children to these schools not just the British.

lynn111
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lynn111 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:13 am

Well, the decision has been made and we have stumped up the registration fee for an international school. We have visited it three times with and without the children, and we all feel happy with the decision. Its just not an option to send older kids into Spanish schools. We did talk to the younger one who is 10 and he turned pale at the idea. I can't say I want to make a positive experience of relocating to another country into a horror story for him because he is forced to go to a school where he doesn't speak a word! :(

brightspark
Tourist

Postby brightspark » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:16 pm

I have 2 children and one goes to Spanish school the other went to an international. The decision was based on their ages. Both have had very positive experiences. My only problem was initially communicating with the Spanish teachers in my awful spanish but that at least improved a bit! Hope yours will be equally settled.