Has your child ever been invited to their spanish friends ho

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Has your child ever been invited to their spanish friends ho

Postby princess peach » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:41 am

My son has never ever been invited to his spanish friends houses for the night or for a day or whatever...
I had one giving me a drop call the other day,so i phoned him..he asked if he could come round at the weekend(this lad lives a car journey away,so it means us picking him up and dropping off etc)
Hes a great Lad,but what a cheek!
My son was also good friends with another lad who often stayed for full weekends(and he was one eating machine,also very rude,burping and farting while we were eating),not once did he ever get asked round for any reason.I get a bit sick of it...anyone else find they like to come to yours,but your kids are never invited back?

Scot
Resident

Re: Has your child ever been invited to their spanish friends ho

Postby Scot » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:26 am

I find it's difficult to integrate and it's generally not the language thats the barrier. My son asked a new Spanish boy in school round to ours one day - his dad called and asked why? We said to play, eat, etc. He replied he has toys and food at home - seemed a bit insulted! He came anyway and my son went to his once too then that was that! I find sleepovers are an alien concept to the Spanish and they tend to spend their time with their family at weekends. Of course, there are exceptions as my friends daughter has just taken her Spanish friend to the UK for a week :shock: Don't think they mean to be rude either as we are told by our Spanish side of the family to stop saying please and thank you and not to ask for drinks etc simply to help yourself!!

K chameleon
Resident

Postby K chameleon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:23 pm

Guess we've been lucky, for the past 5 years my daughter's spent "most" weekends at her Spanish friends house. Only during the last 2 years have they slept over at ours. It seems to be turning around, recently, they all seem to be at ours.
Tonight I will be doing a salad starter and I'll have to make a dessert, don't know what main yet!
That's my only pressure "keeping up with the Jones'" :lol:
(she eats so well, when at her friends)

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:15 pm

well my 2 were never out of friends houses-i complained that i never saw them :( that was in las lagunas area of Fuengirola we have now moved to estacion de cartama and seems to be starting again now that the weather has improved ! my son then 8 spent a few weekends staying at the 2nd campo houses with the whole family and daughter who only started spanish school at 13 spent most of last year eating and sleeping away[ then 15 ]-maybe my 2 are trying to tell me something :(
now we are in the middle of turning last bedroom into a room for the kids as they say they need somewhere to bring friends and chill out!! god help me as cant get my head around the noise they make just talking never mind the wii,tv and ipod going as well :roll:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:15 pm

I don't think the Spanish really do sleep overs unless it's for practical reasons. My 2 are frequently off up to friends houses that live nearby to play and will often come home having been fed. Their friend's Mum or Dad will often shout up that they're taking the boys here or there. I came home from work one day and they'd been taken shopping at La Cañada (I don't even take them voluntarily :shock: ) & had McDonalds and a toy bought for them!! When my youngest son was ill and in hospital 3 years ago, they took my eldest from my husband and told him not to worry they'd look after him. They had him the whole week that the little one was in hospital, took him to school, fed him, did homework with him & brought him to the hospital to see his brother. So, I guess that we're pretty lucky.

I always offer any kids who are around some food if they want it. Most are too polite to accept unless they REALLY like the smell of it (home made cakes are not usually refused :lol: ). One of the little gits used to play his Mum a merry dance with food. She'd been telling me previously that he only ate chicken then, he came to ours and had a roast lamb dinner with 2nds of lamb!! She was gobsmacked when I told her :lol: :lol: