Non Private Dentist´s

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
aquarius-lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Non Private Dentist´s

Postby aquarius-lady » Tue May 12, 2009 11:26 am

Hi ther All,
Can anyone put me in touch with a non-private dentist in the Alhaurin Torre or surrounding area. It´s costing me a fortune as I have four children.I have been to my local medical centre, but always seem to come up to a brick wall, as they don´t seem very helpful regarding the matter.They have told me that I need to go to the Junta de Andalucia´s office in Malaga for addresses and telephone numbers . HELP !!!!! Aquarius-lady

lucy locket
Resident

Re: Non Private Dentist´s

Postby lucy locket » Tue May 12, 2009 12:01 pm

I think there is only private dentists but I am sure children up to a certain age get free treatment.
If you pay ss you should be ok for your kids.
Spanish dentists are a lot cheaper than foreign ones.

pilgrim2
Resident

Postby pilgrim2 » Tue May 12, 2009 2:08 pm

Each year I get a letter and a booklet ´Slaud Bucodental´ the letter states that my son is entitles to free dental care for the year. The booklet lists all dentists by town (in Andalucia) where you can your children up to the age of 14 can get free dental treatment. In our case a dentist comes on Tuesday evenings to a local practice and you need to have made an appointment. As far as I can remember I had to go to my local health center and ask for Asistencia Dental Gratuita, a form was filled out and sent off. Hope this helps.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Tue May 12, 2009 5:27 pm

pilgrim2 wrote:Each year I get a letter and a booklet ´Slaud Bucodental´
I bet you don't, I bet you get one with Salud Bucodental! :D
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

aquarius-lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aquarius-lady » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Hi Pilgrim2
Will try my local medical centre again and ask for the appropriate form. Many thanks.

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Fri May 29, 2009 4:23 pm

Information about the programme and lists of participating dentists in each town can be found here:

Salud Bucodental

The web site doesn't format properly with Firefox - use IE.

McT

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat May 30, 2009 10:24 am

I would advise caution with non-private dentists, if our local ones at Benamargosa are anything to go by. I must stress that the care from the doctors and nurses at the health centre (we are pensioners on full cover) has been excellent, but when my OH had neuralgia, the doctor suggested we see the state dentist who came once per week, to see if her teeth were responsible. Two women were there, dentist and nurse, glanced at the note from the doctor, sent us off to Clinica Rincon in Torre del Mar to buy an X-ray, then on our return (one hour and 30€ later!) got herself to open wide, peered in, then gave one of her teeth a good whack with the handle of the little mirror-on-a-stick so beloved of dentists. When the OH returned to Earth, or at least the chair, they said they could extract a tooth or two, but anything else whe should go to a good private dentist.
It seems their remit is very basic - fill it or pull it - and could put children off dentistry for life!
It was a bit like going to a midwife, only to find sleeves rolled up, buckets of cold water and a rope to pull it out!
Basic, that is the word! Tell the kids to stop eating sweets and chew on some carrots, or bite the bullet (sic) and pay... :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.