vaccinations for children!

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

vaccinations for children!

Postby princess peach » Wed May 27, 2009 9:04 am

My 13 year old son has come home from school rattling on about injections and forms.He doesnt listen to the full story and i usually only get half the info. :?
I told him to go and speak to the headmaster,so yesterday he trundled along to his office,spoke to the head and was told to wait,he waited outside the office for 45 mins and never spoke to the head again..so he went off to his lessons none the wiser. :roll:
Does anyone know what the procedures are for vaccinations in spanish school,does the nurse vaccinate at the school,or do you have to go to a medical centre?
If all else fails,can i pay private for his jab?

Ama
Resident

Re: vaccinations for children!

Postby Ama » Wed May 27, 2009 9:19 am

This is the link to the 09 Andalucía vaccinations calendar for children.

http://www.juntadeandalucia.es/salud/li ... a.asp?pag=\salud\contenidos\ciudadano/areasaludinfantil\vacunaciones2009.jpg

Vaccinations are at your Centro de Salud, not at school. You will need to get an appointment for vacunas, as this service is not available online.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Wed May 27, 2009 10:12 am

They have recently been doing mass Hep A jabs at the schools. Many of the kids have been left with a persistent cough for more than 3 months.
Check what it is for and if it is really necessary. There isn't much which is vaccinated for at 13 (apart from HPV for girls) and many vaccines can cause serious reactions when given after 8 or 9 years of age.

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Wed May 27, 2009 10:52 am

Pp, sorry i can't help with what vaccinations your son is due, maybe check out the website Ama suggests. My youngest who is 7 missed his pre school MMR booster and some others that they give in UK and so waited until he was 6 as they give them here at this age. Had to take his vaccination record into school in Feb and he came home with a letter to go into the doctors between 6 and 8 on a particular day and waited with others, no appointment needed, but they hold the sessions on a certain day. Came out 20 mins later all up to date and book stamped. Maybe you could pop into the doctors and see what they think is due. Just looked in 10 year olds book, he is due BCG at 12 - 13 years old...but this is in UK, maybe this is the same here, not sure. I would go down and ask them. Sorry if i have rambled :lol: :lol:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed May 27, 2009 12:23 pm

well according to Amas link~he is due his diptheria and tetanus jab.
Can anyone tell me if he has to be registered with centro salud to get the vacs?
Antonia,my son doesnt have a book,the only thing he has is a print out from the doctors in UK to say what injections he has already had. :? (and you didnt ramble :wink: )

antonia
Resident

Postby antonia » Wed May 27, 2009 12:34 pm

When we went another boy in the class isn't registered and he got his jabs done ok. We didn't have to have an appt, just walked in and they directed us to the room...not sure whether the same everywhere though.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed May 27, 2009 12:51 pm

I will investigate further.
Thanks Guys,you have been most informative. :wink: