Non Emergency caesarean in Spain

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
HKM
Resident

Non Emergency caesarean in Spain

Postby HKM » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:19 am

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had a non emergency caesarean in Spain? At what week did you have it?

Thanks in advance..

HKM

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Re: Non Emergency caesarean in Spain

Postby karandjon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi HKM. I had a planned cesarean in Spain earlier this year. My baby was breech and I had it at 39+2

I went for my 39 week appointement with the consultant, who saw my baby was still breech and saw that he was a very good size (especially for my petite stature), so signed a form for me to be admitted the following evening, ready for the cesarean the next day.

You are kept in for a minimum of 5 nights.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions or want to chat, just drop me a PM.

Karen x
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi,

Our son was born may 30th this year by caesarian at 41+5... Sam had no plans on coming out, was around 4 kilos and liked laying horizontally......

Ronda hospital has it's down points but a caesarian they do well... It took 20 minutes plus half an hour stiching and caring for new mum and then they kept Sam in an incubator for a few hours... New mum was walking around in 6 hours and we left the hospital on day 3...

C sections are routine here and though we wanted a "natural" birth it wasn't to be and so we were glad of their experience at the procedure... I think the c section figures are really high for Spain in general...

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:55 am

wildside wrote:Hi,

Ronda hospital has it's down points but a caesarian they do well... It took 20 minutes plus half an hour stiching and caring for new mum and then they kept Sam in an incubator for a few hours... New mum was walking around in 6 hours and we left the hospital on day 3...
Congratulations Wildside! Sams 3 months younger than my son! My c-section took 5 minutes, then 15 mins stapling me. After showing me my baby, he was then taken out to daddy to care for him whilst i went to recovery for a couple of hours, til i regained feeling in my legs. I was the wheeled back in to baby and daddy, then all taken back up to our room.

6 months on, the scar has faded fantastically. And HKM, the really important thing is to get up ASAP!! By this i mean, a walk to the toilet, aided, even though will take half an hour, does wonders for speeding up recovery.
And after getting home, i felt back to myself within 2 weeks, though heeded drs advice and did nothing and lifted nothing but my son for 6 weeks.
HTH
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:38 pm

Hi

Thanks for the advice I have already had 1 caesarean so kind of know what to expect, anyway after chatting to the ob consultant things are much more clearer.. I have 2 replacement hips so they don't know how long they will hold out for but aiming for 36-38 weeks, the longer the better really!

Can you tell me at what weeks you had your scheduled scans? That would be great!

Thanks

HKM

wildside
Resident

Postby wildside » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi,

Because of a mix up with our Spanish social security we had to go private for the first three scans....Amnio was needed as we are 44....

week 16 first scan
week 18 scan and amniosentisis
week 22 doppler scan
week 25 scan in Ronda hospital
week 33 Scan at Ronda hospital
week 39 monitoring of baby's heartbeat and contractions (sorry "surges")
week 40 monitoring of baby's heartbeat and surges
week 41 monitoring of baby's heartbeat and surges

41+5 caesar as they won't let you go to 42 weeks and Sam showed no signs of appearing..... The Ronda hospital has no real interest in a "natural birth"...They laughed at the birth plan and that was that... An overdose of oxytocin (without our permission) made the contractions a wall of pain so we cut our losses and went for the c section.... We had already discussed this previously..... I say "We" I was there but it wasn't me that felt this physically.. Still, all the talks we had and the brilliant help from a hypnobirth expert added up to a stress free birth even though it didnt quite go to plan....

PM if you want the contact for hypnobirthing....