Baby Vaccinations

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
HKM
Resident

Baby Vaccinations

Postby HKM » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Hello

My baby is coming up to her 2 month vaccinations.. Last time when we were at her Paed she said there was 2 vaccines that were not available on Seguridad, so if we wanted her to have them we had to buy them.. She said they were about 90 euros. So I assumed that was for the course as one due now ROTARIX and the next in a few months.. The other one PREVENAR has 4 doses..

So I went to the chemist to buy the ROTARIX today and it was 93 euros, for one dose...
The PREVENAR is 74 euros for each one and as I said 4 needed...

Now I have just done a search on the ROTARIX and I am a bit concerned as to what I have read..

Did anyone who has had a baby in Spain not have these vaccines?

Any advice would be welcome...

HKM

sophiasanchez
Tourist

Re: Baby Vaccinations

Postby sophiasanchez » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:36 pm

Hi there, it was a while ago for me but my daughter def had the Prevenar jabs. I wasn't actually offered the Rotarix one, I remember someone telling me about it later ... isn't it to do with the gastro type illnesses ... I think there is an age limit with that one, they have to have it quite young. We didn't have it and she seems to have coped fine without it so far although I do remember worrying that maybe she should have had it when one quite strong virus was going round last year.

The prevenar jabs were fine, she didn't have any reaction or anything.

Hope that helps!

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:42 am

If you are breastfeeding there is a very low risk of GI infections. If you are bottle feeding then just follow the normal cleaning & sterilising routine. The pharma companies are making large extra profits from paranoid parents.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:04 pm

I researched them both. I decided against Rotarix.

I decide to go with Prevanr x 2 doses. (e75 each), starting at 3mths.

If you do get Prevanar, tell the pharmacy the day before you need to buy it as they often dont keep it in. When you collect, take it straight to the appt, or if appt isnt til later, take it straight home and refrigerate at the back of your fridge, until needed.

It is all a matter of personal preference. Do what you feel is best for you and your baby.

All the best.

Karen x
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:24 pm

Here's an article I received this week regarding the Rotarix vaccine:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... ?aid=CD945