MATHS TUTOR REQUIRE

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
jules3

MATHS TUTOR REQUIRE

Postby jules3 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi

I moved from England to Seville in Feb this year. My eldest boy is struggling with the spanish maths as it is all long division. We have tried to help him but have decided the best way forward would be to employ a maths tutor one evening per week. Can anybody recommend a tutor and preferably someone who speaks a little english.
Many thanks

pilgrim2
Resident

Re: MATHS TUTOR REQUIRE

Postby pilgrim2 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:24 pm

Get in touch with the Americans Womans Club Seville they have Jobs (Coordinator? not sure what her correct title is) they email jobs to all their members. All English speaking.

I too had a problem with long division maths last year (son aged 9 then) when speaking to one of his friends mum she kindly sat me down and taught me - all in Spanish though.

Good luck

Campo Steve
Andalucia Guru

Postby Campo Steve » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Long division used to be so simple. Then they changed the way it is done. Totally loses me now. Same in the UK.
I've got an inferiority complex, but it's not a very good one!

Mowser
Andalucia Guru

Postby Mowser » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:00 pm

If you Google "long division made easy" you'll find loads of pages. Seems a bit of a waste of money to get a tutor just for that. Give it a try anyway.
Dave

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:04 am

Sorry for the delay in replying but my grandchild over here in Spain is currently struggling with her arithmetic at school.
I'm wondering if the way she is taught over here is different from the way I was taught in the UK and if I try and teach her my way she will simply become even more confused!!
I have googled long division made easy and see that it is slightly different from my method. But what about simple addition, subtraction and multiplication? Are they taught differently?
Help!!
Grandad

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:02 pm

Can I suggest an older pupil in the school as a tutor, I am extremely lucky that my 10 year old daughter is very good at maths as I would have no clue as how to help her with it!! It is like no method I ever used at school!!