Teachers In Spain

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
Acen
Resident

Teachers In Spain

Postby Acen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi

Im not very happy with the level of education my daughter is receiving compaired to my son who is in the year above.

Alot of the parents have been complaining about her and yesterday was the first time ive attended a parents meeting with her (usually its my wife only).

my question is are there any sort of assesments or checks that are done on teachers??? Are schools/teachers graded and is this information legally available (under the spanish equivalent of the freedom of information act).

I know I may sound like a pushy parent but seriously I know for a fact how extremely inteligent my daughter, the hard work my sons teacher put in last year, and the amount of work she does (or does not do) during the school day.

We are already paying for "particulares" where a student teacher comes to our home for extra tuition for our son and now we will have to start for my daughter.

Its an expense I could do without as the "crisis" has affected us all.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

thanks

a

Ama
Resident

Re: Teachers In Spain

Postby Ama » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:59 pm

If you are speaking about a public school, teachers are a well protected specimen..It is very difficult to go against them, even more so, if the teacher's position is 'fijo', meaning she will only change schools if she chooses to.
The official route is to speak first of all to the teacher, then to the director or jefe de estudios, and then to the Conserjería de Educación (if you are in the Málaga province - it's in the black building in Malaga).
I had a similar case when my daugher was in 'infantil', and all school staff + director knew she was evil, but nothing was done about it... just wait till she retires (luckily she has done).
As we are in April, the best thing is to help your daughter as much as possible and hope she will have a new teacher next year.

Acen
Resident

Re: Teachers In Spain

Postby Acen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:06 pm

thanks for the advice, we have spoken to the directora and the teacher in question has already seen her with her side of the story.

My daughter is extremely bright and was born here in spain. I knew her teacher in infant school and know exactly what my son has done a year previous as they are only 10 months apart in age.

I know in my town plenty of parents have extremely low expectations for educations for their children which is sad becuase its was like spain was in the 50's and considering the mess the country is in now surely an educations is even more important.

i only hope it improves.

thanks
a