Breast Feeding in Public

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Breast Feeding in Public

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:07 pm

I suspect the females of the species are reluctant to post because of all the ngative comments from the males of the species.

So, here's my two pennorth - I don't have a problem with breastfeeding in public, provided it's done discreetly, as it usually is. It is far preferable to being shoved into a loo cubicle or similar, with potential hygiene concerns, and surely it is also preferable to a screaming hungry or upset baby ?
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Breast Feeding in Public or 'A Tale of Two Ti-tt-ies'

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:45 am

I'm really surprised at the varying views of this topic, in fact I'm considering changing the title to 'A Tale of Two Ti-tt-ies'.. :oops: .
I don't actually think most ladies are really seeking attention, but some do, obviously...

Perhaps if their off-spring is a greedy and noisy bundle of fun they could perhaps give it a Mercadona Ginger Biscuit ..to suck. :think:
Just a thought.....
Regards,
Gordon

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:19 pm

From Mrs Gasman
I agree with Chrissie on this one. Discretion from we lady readers of the forum, discretion from the breastfeeders noted. Rarely witnessed this in public but perhaps gone unnoticed because of said discretion on the part of desperate mothers doing what is natural.
I do agree that it is hardly necessary in full view on the front benches of parliament, but in a corner of an airport lounge - that's OK for me.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:47 pm

Just realised why this thread was started now. It's World Breastfeeding Week.
:wtf: Is it now an Olympic event?
Why does breastfeeding need celebrating? To create awareness? Of what? The benefits? Why does anyone need to be made aware of that? If you're a parent, you should surely already be aware....or? If you're not a parent, you don't need to know. So what's it for?

Quite agree with previous post; if it's done discreetly, I have absolutely no problem. But I don't agree with promoting getting them out in full view of any passing pubescent schoolboy as a fundamental right & something to be celebrated. Ridiculous.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Dont know why but this subject has gone over two pages!!..

Have we even had a subject on the forum about topless sunbathing on public beaches! Nah,cos i bet the guys think thats ok!!...what about gays kissing and holding hands in public??Ah the gay rights people will come out in protest if anyone complained!!...To be honest if breast feeding mummies want to show off then so what..there are worse things!

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:47 pm

The Little Britain lot had a long running sketch on this topic.
Whilst I like a lot of their stuff, I didn't like that one.

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:48 pm

I So Bella tis you

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:44 pm

I saw a woman breast feeding her baby in a restaurant in the Alpujarras. It has a largely hippy clientele and her feeding her baby seemed perfectly fine. No-one turned a hair. However, I think if it was in - say - a restaurant in a more ordinary Spanish town, eyebrows might be raised. So perhaps it depends on the community around you. I certainly don't think the hippy mum was trying to be clever, to her, it was no doubt a perfectly acceptable thing to do and because of the place and ambience, she wouldn't have felt disapproval. Because there is so much lip-curling about it (as evidenced by this thread), I suppose that's why I've never seen it anywhere else in Spain. The disapproval would feel uncomfortable if you were a sensitive person. A difficult choice for a mum out and about with a screaming baby! Personally, I don't see anything wrong with it. (I do have a midwife daughter with a very laissez faire attitude, so I'm sure she's influenced me :) )

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:32 pm

We were in the garden furniture section of the Eroski store in the El Ingenio centre the other day, and a lady was taking advantage of one of the terrace sofas on display to sit and breastfeed her baby. Nobody, and certainly not the store staff, appeared to think there was anything remarkable or untoward about it.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 am

That's good to hear, FAL :thumbup:

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:52 pm

Paulinmalaga wrote:
El Cid wrote:It’s a “look at me, I’m a clever mummy” thing.

Sid
What an utterly absurd comment. Never once have I witnessed anything remotely resembling that kind of attitude, always been discreet when I've noticed it. Amazing that you see far more female breasts au natural whilst sitting having a drink at any Chiringuito along the Costas and I don't see any one kicking off and getting offended by it. Yet when it comes to a basic human right of a Mother feeding a hungry child it seems a very small section of people get outraged by it....quite odd.
Well What an utterly absurd response, I have, on occasions been at odds with Sid but on this one I'm right behind him, why do some women feel it's necessary to get their *beep* out in public ? it's perfectly natural to take a dump or a pee but we don't do it in public, put em away love and save em for the kids !!