Are there no mothers and babies in Granada province?

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Are there no mothers and babies in Granada province?

Postby bakeke » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:15 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone ever reply to any of these posts? Am I really the only mother of a baby or tot in the whole of the Granada province?

Kelly
Kelly

stellastaff
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby stellastaff » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi Kelly, Thought I would reply to you as no-one else has! I'm in Carratraca, near Campillos. Have 4 children, the youngest being 8 so I'm not quite in the category you mention. However, I am only 32, willing to travel and have a wealth of experience of children!! I would be only too happy to meet up somewhere for a chat if you fancy it. Maybe a few of the other mums on here would like to also and we could find a happy medium area to meet up in?
Donna

Kelly4
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kelly4 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:04 pm

Hello fellow Kelly!

We're not in Granada province...sorry. But just wondered whether you had been able to make friends with any local (Spanish) Mums. I know that at times there's no substitute for a good chinwag in your mother tongue, but I have found that having children has made integration with my Spanish neighbours ten times easier than it would be without them. To begin with, it was very hard, not speaking enough of the language to have a real conversation with other mums, but I am now beginning to feel part of the community and have made some good friends. There IS a language barrier, but in the long-run, it's really worth struggling through that.

And just because someone's from the same country, doesn't mean you'll have anything in common... apart from having kids.

I realise that this posting might come across very self-righteous. It's not meant to be and I apologise if it offends anyone. Simply... someone in the same boat sharing a positive experience from a different perspective.

Best of luck,

Kelly

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:28 pm

Hi Kelly, I've been trying to reply to you but it's taken over a week for my account to be activated!!

I've got 21 month old twin boys and spend some of my time in Loja (hoping to make the permanent move soon).

I'd love to find a toddler group or something to take my boys to.

Whereabouts in Loja are you? We're between Riofrio and Venta del Rayo.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Zofia

bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bakeke » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:30 pm

Hi Zofia,

Sounds like you're just down the road from me. I have just put an ad in Where2 magazine for the next issue to try and set up a mother/baby/todler group. I don't know if it will take off but I would love to meet up with you and your twins for a coffee/chat, etc...

Hasta luego,
Kelly x
Kelly

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:17 pm

Not sure what Where To is, I obviously don't spend enough time in Spain. Have you thought of a venue? Maybe the Almazara could help as I know they do a monthly Expats meeting (that's very close to me, can see it from our house!). Will be out in spain again in October, then hoping to go for 2/3 months in the spring.

Keep in touch.

Zofia

bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bakeke » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:33 pm

Hi Zofia,

Haven't thought of a venue as yet but know the Almazara Hotel and it is only 10 mins away as I am in the town of Loja. Maybe in October we can organise something?

Take care,

Hasta luego,
Kelly x

Ps - Where2 is a free english magazine covering the Granada province. You can pick it up in various places, including the tourist office in Loja, Los Abades service station and the Almazara Hotel. The Sept/Oct issue should be out this week I think.
Kelly

GEORGE McWilliams
Tourist

Postby GEORGE McWilliams » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:37 am

Hi Kelly
You have answered my prayers. I moved to Montefrio ( about 40 mins from Granada) about a month ago with my husband and two boys Zak who will be 4 in October and Angus who is 10 months. So far I am loving it but Zak desperately needs to start making friends and so do I. I just logged on thinking I would 'advertise' ourselves and came across Parents in Andalucia. I have a car so am willing to travel and my husband is working three days a week, so the boys and I need to start finding our feet. I would love to hear from you and hopefully meet up.
Regards
Trudi
PS My e- mail is address [email protected]

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:45 am

Hi Trudi

Hopefully we can arrange something in October. There must be more of us!

Z

bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bakeke » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:50 pm

It's great that there are others out there! We'll definitely sort something out.

Regards,
Kelly x
Kelly

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi kelly

I was wondering if you had much response from your ad in Where To?
We will be in Spain for a week from Oct 4th. Woiuld be nice to organise something, or if not, we often take our boys to the Parque Los Angeles.

Trudi, I'm sure there was someone on another forum, iVillage.co.uk, the Expat Mums message board, who lives in Montefrio.....might be worth having a look over there......

Zofia

bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bakeke » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:10 pm

Hi Zofia,

So far no response, but I guess it's early days. I've met up with Trudi and her boys a few times which has been really great. We've also been to the Parque Los Angeles so maybe when you're out, we can all go and maybe do something else?

My email is [email protected].

Hasta luego,
Kelly x
Kelly

yummymummy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby yummymummy » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:23 am

kelly - have sent you a pm....

Zofia
Resident

Postby Zofia » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:25 am

I've emailed you a couple if times kelly, don't know if you've got them. Hope you're all well.

Zofia

Donna

Another mum!

Postby Donna » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:07 pm

Hi, Kelly, Trudi and Zofia, I'm a mum with a 2 year old son and we live in Estepa which is 20 mins on from Antequera and would love to meet up if you have managed to arrange any 'get togethers'. We've lived here for over a year and have managed to make spanish friends but only one of our friends has a little girl the same age as Louis my son. I would like him to have more friends his age. I've looked into nursery and the Junta de Andalucia provides free places (if your lucky enough to find a free place that is!) but it is a 5 day week and the min hours are from 9am-2.30pm, you can not choose to put your child in for less ie. 2 or 3 days which I would have loved. I feel 5 days is a little too much for a 2 year old and as I don't work would feel guilty sending him all week - the playgroups etc. we refer to don't seem to take place in my area and when you ask other spanish mums they simply say nursery and if not the park or library!

Hope to hear from you soon

bakeke
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bakeke » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:06 pm

Hi Donna,

Great to hear from you. I did put an ad in Where2 but have had no response as yet. However, I have met up with Trudi a lot and also Zofia and there are some other mums and tots in the pipeline so hopefully we'll grow in number (Trudi has also put an ad in the Rute and Iznajar news, so we'll see what happens). I go back to the UK for a week on Thursday, but why don't we arrange to meet up when I get back?

Kind regards,
Kelly
Kelly