Single parents in spain

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
rosiej85

Single parents in spain

Postby rosiej85 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:47 pm

does any1 have any experiences of moving to spain as a single mother of a 3 year old??? Could any1 give me any general advice?

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:11 pm

When you have children..be single or a couple..you would need to have funds to back you..as permanent work is very rare ... if earning money is not a problem...then go for it.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

rosiej85

TEFL

Postby rosiej85 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:16 pm

i have a tefl diploma, i have found a few job vacancies online but how readily available once i am in spain?? and does any1 have any experience of this kind of work?

Plus I have read that some UK benefits such as income support, can be transferred, any info???

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:31 pm

tefl diploma,
well you just might get lucky...teaching English is one of the jobs that is almost always available.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Re: TEFL

Postby Bongtrees » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:47 pm

rosiej85 wrote:
Plus I have read that some UK benefits such as income support, can be transferred, any info???
From the gov. web site
If you are going abroad permanently you cannot get Income Support. If your stay abroad is temporary, you may be able to get Income Support for the first 4 weeks you are abroad.

You will also lose child benefit as is not transferable to Spain.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:25 pm

They often advertise for TEFL teachers, the pay is rubbish and the hours flexible (to their advantage of course) maybe a couple of hours in the morning and another two in the evening.

rosiej85

tefl

Postby rosiej85 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:58 am

what about websites such as Tefljobs.com? these postings seem 2 be around 25 hours a week wages around 800euros a month?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:53 am

Don't know about the websites but I have known people who have worked for language schools. A friend was paid 12 euros an hour but had to travel to the town centre, sometimes for an hours work and then sometimes return in the evening for 2 hours. The pay you quote isn't much (8 euros an hour?), some cleaners earn more than this and there probably wouldn't be holiday pay.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:54 pm

Don´t forget, if you are on your own you would need to pay someone to look after your 3 year old child. If you are coming over with a relative it would not be so bad.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

rosiej85

childcare?

Postby rosiej85 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:20 pm

how easy is it 2 find decent out of school childcare, and is it costly???

capdusud

child care

Postby capdusud » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:37 pm

your child is 3 years old....usually private school take kids in from 3 years...but perhaps you are lucky and land a place place at a public school, which would help you out...as school is usually from 9am to 3.30pm...if not you may have to wait for a place, and in some cases till 5 years when they need to present in school....

nursery care depends on location.....getting into a State nursery can be difficult but obviously way cheaper....private nursery care may be better in some instances....but dearer...

my 2 year old goes to a good nursery in San Pedro.....but mornings only including meals comes to around 400 odd euros a month....which is steep...

usually tho nursery fees may vary between 200 - 500 euros, depending on full time or part time and or area....Benalmadena for instance will be cheaper than say marbella area....

from the general replies, you may think the feeling is rather negative....

but all are being really REALISTIC.....finding a good paying job is not always easy to find.....often people just don´t get paid at the end of the month, which is a horrible experience for some....

and if you are on your own, it may be even harder......also bear in mind if you are renting, depending on the area you can pay anything from 500 - 1200 euros a month...

and the average salary here is only about 1000 odd euros a month....unless you land a really good job...

cost of living here is also by no means much cheaper.....

So, if you have some support and good financial backing and if money is not such an issue then by all means go for it.....

but you may need to give this all some serious thought.....

what about first coming out for a couple of weeks just to sass it all out for yourself, before you just jump into a big decision...

I wish you all of the very best - and applaud you for being a single mother....which is really tough...

God bless you!

ratty6666
Tourist

Postby ratty6666 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:25 am

I would just like to say I am a single mum and have been here nearly 4 yrs, my daughter has just turned 4 and she has been at a state nursery since she was 4 months as I had to work to live, although I have my mum over here, I do everything on my own eg pay rent nursery and all on 1 wage, so it can be done if you really want it.
I have a 4 yr old that is bilingual and at anytime i do run out of money and have to go back to uk, at least i know i gave her the best start possible, I went back to uk last month for a holiday and saw a few old friends, single mums and on benefits. I wouldnt want that life for anything! so its definatley worth the struggle here!

Good luck and if you need any friends when you here pm me! cos thats the worse part, having no one who is in the same boat! you do get a bit lonley!

caroig
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby caroig » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:36 pm

My 18month daughter goes to the local council run nursery school (entry requirement: they can walk). The teachers and installation are great, they can be there from 9:00am to 5:00pm mon-fri and costs 160€ per month including lunch.
Here they start at the village primary school from 3 years old (9:00 - 3:30pm but with afternoon and evening classes that are paid seperately).
Babysitting, nanny charges 4€/hour.

Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

single mums unite

Postby Pirateprincess » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:38 pm

I'm also a single mum of 2 one is aged 7 and the other is aged 8 nearly 9 and i know it will be hard but you know it has to be done i live in ireland and over here the system wont let you work....its a real pain you sit scatching your behind all day till you pick them up from school however i also help out in their school with kids from all over the world so if i can speak to kids from poland lituania latvia nigeria ++++ and so on i think i can do it in spain.....and that would be the biggist pull from ireland would be their school....my parents also want to relocate but my dad would help with the kids but not my mum....but you know what i think it will be the making of us all because like that the kids will have a different outlook for their future
LOUISE M

Heston
Resident

Single mum

Postby Heston » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:30 pm

Rosiej

I wacthed a channel 4 " life changing thingy once" about a woman in her late 30s who was a special needs teachers and had 6kids all to different dads. The programe showed her fed up with life in Plymouth and wanting more for her kids she packed up an old four by four and headed over to Almeria. I can honestly say i had never seen such a gutsy determind lady she had bought a bit of a pit as she didnt have much money but she worked her backside off reforming the place with nothing more than a scraper and some hard graft often with a child on her back or hip! Dunno if anyone esle seen it but it was a couple of years back before we moved here and I thought to myself if she can do it we can! She reformed the house remortgaged and bought another and was earning money that way..I would love to know what happend to her.

Pirateprincess
Andalucia.com Amigo

Jaen

Postby Pirateprincess » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi Heston
could you give me a bit of an insight into the area jaen, whats it like for to relocate too!!!!! I'm considering up there but we are caught for flights from Dublin we have to go thru the uk and with kids transfare can be a nightmare but if the area is worth it i would try anything

Cheers :lol:
LOUISE M

Heston
Resident

jaen

Postby Heston » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi

theres quite a few irish up here too they tend to fly to Liverpool first then to Granada all via Ryanaire.
I can only say that I love it up here we are about an hour from Granada airport and city but we personally live up in the hills. There are now quite a lot of ex pats scattered around and a lot have kids too and have put them straight into Spanish schools( there are no international schools here to my knowledge)
From Granada upto Jaen there are various Towns and villages some big some small..its quite important to speak some spanish as very few of the Spanish speak English but a little goes a long way and if they see you making an effort with the language they love to help. The area is over populated with ex pats but there are quite a few around old ,young, with kids with no kids a good mix.
Despite what others may say it is definately cheaper to live Inland ( i have lived on the Costa blanca many years ago).....its more "real Spain" up here ( in my opinion) theres no English corner shops or full english breakfasts....thats what I like about it but its each to their own. Dont know how old your kids are but they would be welcome with open arms up here by the Spanish ( as I am sure they would be in other areas of Spain) and most importantly I think you would once settled feel your kids are safe here out on their own. Its all olives up here too this area is the biggest producer of olives and you can just see miles and miles of olive trees. There are also some beautiful lakes which you can picnic at or swim in and most Towns and small villages have public open air pools which the kids can spend the day in for a couple of euros.
Im trying to think what else to say hopefully other members will give you some of their insight to the area...we love it here.
I will PM you the agent we used we must have been out with every agent in Spain some ok some awful..this one very good and were happy.
( In fact my mother in law liked it so much she bought a house last summer in the near Town!)
:lol:

lightangel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lightangel » Sun May 13, 2007 10:59 pm

As a single parent myself I believe we are all very resourceful...we have to be. With determination and self belief we can achieve a lot. I have been thinking about moving to Spain for some time now and am still sorting out the practicalities and my 'back up' plans...as best I can anyway. Jaen is an area I have been thinking about and intend to visit the area later this year.

Heston...would you be able to pm the agents details to me please.
If you dont have a dream how you gona have a dream come true

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:13 am

Lightangel, I visited Jaen on my last visit to Spain, it is a really beautiful area and the property you can get for your money up there is unbelievable, it is just a shame for us that it is a 2hr trip from Antequera area where my parents live, which is just a bit much for them and us to do regularly. I would definately recommend a good look round though! :D

lightangel
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lightangel » Wed May 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi didi72

Yes I have heard that property prices in Jaen are slightly cheaper and am looking forward to visisting the area. Antequera seems like a really nice area as well but property prices seem a bit pricey.
If you dont have a dream how you gona have a dream come true