Single parents in spain

Pregnant, giving birth, looking for nurseries, schools, or simply want to share advice with other parents in Andalucia? Find out more on this forum.
annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sat May 19, 2007 9:50 pm

I am rubbish at geography (i know, i know... i could look at a map!) which bit is jaen in?
We are moving to Salinas (Antequera) shortly. As it's inalnd and i can't drive it is a bit of a worry! No electricity either, just solar power)
Why have I posted this here? Hmmmm, i am not sure. I do enjoy Andalucia.com but find that people who are not as assertive as others often get jumped on in the other topics and accused of "not thinking things threw/planning etc." "Parents in Andalucia" seems more friendly and supportive.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sun May 20, 2007 11:04 pm

Oh dear! "through", not "threw" Sorry

charlycharl

rosiej85

Postby charlycharl » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi there

Im a single parent for a 5 year old child, 6 in Nov. Im really considering relocating to andalucia and would like any positive feedback that you may have received. Keep me informed if you can.

Cheers xx

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:51 am

Do you know what the more I read these forums the more I realise there are so many downers here that do not have a good word to say about living in Andalucia. I do wonder why they live here :?

I have been a single mum here to two kids aged 9 and 11 when we arrived and have had the most wonderful life here, I have worked hard here and had my worries, that is life where ever I choose to live it was never going to be easy, but then I have spent weekends on the beach with my daughters, most evenings in the summer at the pool with my daughters and they have had a lovely life here, maybe I am lucky but I do think what you are prepared to put in you will get out and it depends on what your priorities are and what makes you happy. It is a daunting prospect and still now at times I wonder what on earth I am doing but each day is a new day and the sun comes up! :D

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:35 am

Annie D - I am amazed the grammar/spelling police have not picked on you. It is a good sign as there used to be some pedantic comments on here at times. As to your transport problem from Antequera, become more integrated, especially as you are in the campo not the costa - buy a donkey. It will take longer than using a car, but time in Spain does not have the same meaning as the UK. :lol:

sallythehippie

Postby sallythehippie » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:46 am

IM REALLY GLAD TO HAVE FOUND THIS FORUM.
I HAVE RECENTLY ACQUIRED SINGLE MOTHER STATUS. I HAVE TWIN BOYS TWIN BOYS AGED 3 ½ YEARS, AND HAVE BEEN IN MARBELLA, SPAIN FOR ALMOST 3 MONTHS TO 'TEST THE WATER'.
THE NEXT STEP FOR ME WILL BE TO RENT SOMEWHERE AND TRIAL LIFE HERE FOR A YEAR DEVIOD OF FAMILY SUPPORT WHILST I RESEARCH INTO JOBS (INTERIOR DESIGN) & SCHOOLS (LOCAL SPANISH & INTERNATIONAL).
I AM AT THE STAGE WHERE I JUST CANNOT MAKE A DECISION.
THE LOCATION, WHETHER IT EVENTUALLY BE COASTAL OR 30 MINS OR SO INLAND, TICKS ALL THE RIGHT BOXES IN TERMS OF WHAT I WANT FOR A FUTURE LIFE. I AM CERTAIN MY SONS WILL HAVE A FAR HAPPIER LIFESTYLE HERE THAN IN THE UK. WHAT I THINK I NEED THOUGH IS TOO ESTABLISH A NETWORK OF FRIENDS IN A SIMILAR POSITION.
I HAVE MET MORE PEOPLE HERE WITHIN 3 MONTHS THAN I HAVE IN MY 3 YEARS IN MOTHERDOM CHESHIRE, UK, WHEN WE MOVE FROM LONDON TO BE CLOSER TO MY FAMILY. BUT THEY ARE MAINLY ON AN EXTENDED HOLIDAY, SO HAVE LEFT ALREADY, OR WITHIN A COMPLETE FAMILY UNIT.
I WOULD APPRECIATE FEED BACK FROM ANYONE WHO HAS DONE OR IS CONSIDERING LIKEWISE AND WANTS TO GIVE IT THEIR BEST SHOT, BUT WHO ALSO HAS SIMILAR RESERVATIONS AS I.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:54 pm

Sally - just a point on forum/internet etiquette - writing in CAPITALS is regarded as shouting, and not very polite. :)
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:56 pm

Hi Sally there are 2 forums you can join to get information about schools etc. I would also contact Decordiva who has posted a reply as she does interior design amongst other things and will have contacts in that line of business. You never know she may need help herself. She is also in the Marbella area.

www.manilvamums.com
www.mumsinspain.com
Is Dyslexia a problem for you? If so pm me.

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:45 pm

sally? you shout all you want. x GOOD LUCK IN YOUR NEW LIFE

sallythehippie

Postby sallythehippie » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:50 pm

hi there
thanks to all who gave feedback.
can anyone give their views on spanish versus international schooling for 2 x boys who are due to start next year? im of the opinion that international maybe better in my current position as a singe mother (more disciplined/smaller class sizes etc) can anyone provide me with good or bad reports on the international schools in the area (calahonda to gib) please? any recommendation of good spanish schools (public or private) would be helpful also.
i am currently staying cabopino, marbella, and looking for a place to rent, merely becos its the area i know and have friends nearby. but it has changed a great deal since i last visited. there has been an explosion of concrete !!
so, im still quite open and flexible at present and have a good deal of research yet to do. can anyone recommend alternative areas ?
lola, is manilva worth checking out?

lola2
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby lola2 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:10 pm

Yes Manilva is worth checking out. Also a lot of building going on here too though. You wouldnt believe how much it has changed in the 7 years since I have lived here. Sabinillas is a nice little town, very Spanish still. Manilva village is lovely and also Casares.

DancingQueen

Postby DancingQueen » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:29 pm

Bede's Grammar School between Estepona and San Pedro is worth a visit and the enrolment fees are reasonable.

sallythehippie

Postby sallythehippie » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:59 am

thanks for the advice.
does anyone know anything about calahonda international college? i visited the school yesterday.
i realise its relative new.4yrs) and hasnt got much history, so thats probably why nobody seems to have anything to say about it?

jenic
Tourist

Postby jenic » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:00 pm

I have 2 boys going to the local spanish state school in your area in Elviria its called Platero and its a spanish state school. They have been in this school for 4 yrs and the headmaster Paco is adorable and speaks fluent english he is the best. I would recomend this school, its not international but it has school lunches, uniforms and after school activities till 6pm. This is a primary school and it has the best reputation along the coast as being one of the top schools. I also have a 16 yr old who is also at the local state spanish secondary school and its a bilingual school. We have lived here in spain for 9yrs and all boys are fluent. I Hope this helps. Regards jeni

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi Jeni that is interesting as I am putting twinkle's name down for Platero so pleased it has a good reputation, where is your eldest?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:03 am

I do not know for sure as I don´t have school age children but the Platero school doesn't have such a good reputation amongst my spanish friends, most of them send their kids to the private spanish school in El Rosario, the rest put them in Marbella centro.

DecorDiva
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby DecorDiva » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:53 am

What have you heard from your spanish friends then? I would be interested to know, I like the Rosario school and that is nearer does anyone have any idea of costs?

The Calahonda school is OK, my two were there for a while when it first opened till this year, one left and is now in the UK at college and the other one I took out and we are continuing her GCSE's at home with online tutoring.

Calahonda kept changing teachers too much, they charge a fortune for school uniforms and they also charge you for school lunches you are not allowed the option to take in a packed lunch, so the costs soon mount up. But it is in a nice situation and the girls were fine there. They were at the BIC before that which was good.

Marbella Moose

Re: Single parents in spain

Postby Marbella Moose » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:59 am

Could you tell me where Platero School is and any other useful info please

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:27 am

Hi, it's in Elviria. Nice area. Didn't used to have a good reputation with the spanish but could have improved. here is their website

http://www.plateromarbella.com/

Marbella Moose

Postby Marbella Moose » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:04 pm

Thanks alot!