Coeliacs Disease

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
susie21

Coeliacs Disease

Postby susie21 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:37 pm

[/
Last edited by susie21 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

pilgrim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby pilgrim » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:00 pm

Not sure about the persriptions, Will you be entitled to reciprocal health care or paying into the Spanish system?
Gluten free products are readily available in most supermarkets, more so here than when I lived in the Uk(my sister in law has Coeliacs, but when she came to visit she brought her own bread)

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Coeliacs Disease

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:28 pm

susie21 wrote: is this going to stop us making this a permanent move???
Like many other things, you may have to weigh up possible increased costs on your special foods against some of the costs you will have far less of in Spain - e.g. if you are currently paying say £1200 council tax, this compared to the possible 300€ in Spain may pay for quite a bit?
Your car tax will be maybe 80€ as opposed to £125 (is it now?) and fuel at 70% of UK.
You have to do the maths, and everyone's circumstances are slightly different.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:00 pm

No wonder the NHS is losing money! Bread on prescription? Whatever will be next - sin-alcohol beer for alcoholics?

Seriously though, we have a friend with that problem and she is amazed how much gluten free stuff is available in the supermarkets and it is not at a rip-off price either. You can get a whole variety of loaves and rolls etc and pasta also.

Sid

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:31 pm

Glutenfree products are widely available throughout Europe, even the lack of them only means you have to stay clear of wheat products and it won't kill you to live without bread, frankly I don't get the point of the question!
Ah! the full english!!

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:23 pm

I think I would have to live without gluten free bread too. Only bought it once, for friends with gluten intolerance who were visiting, when the packet was opened it was just like a jigsaw puzzle. Bacon sandwiches for breakfast were cancelled but it made an acceptable bread & butter pudding for after lunch.

Gluten free spaghetti was perfectly acceptable too.

It is quite amazing how many products are labelled gluten-free once you start looking.

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:48 am

is this going to stop us making this a permanent move

I think if not getting a handout from the Spanish government makes a difference as to wether you move to Spain its time you looked at your finances as you have got to eat in which ever country your in.If we didn't have to eat we would probably all have Aston Martin cars. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:39 pm

After some lightweight web study I can confirm that Coeliacs or better known as Celiacs disease can indeed kill,--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- about 0.02% of it's sufferers, if it is untreated for a very long time! as I said before I don't consider this a serious posting as Celiacs sufferers can live exactly the same way as anyone else except they have to stay clear of wheat products, why would you need to solicit information about it from an expats website, and you thought the mcCanns wanted all the attention, didn't you :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:19 pm

My mum has gluten intolerance and just avoids bread altogether (and pasta etc) easy :D

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:05 pm

I think coeliacs is a bit more serious. I have a wheat/gluten/yeast intolerance as well and while I feel much better if I can avoid wheat it doesn't make me really ill if I don't, just a bit bloated & lethargic.

It's the hidden wheat that's the big problem, even simple things like oxo cubes have wheat so if you have coeliac disease and not just an intolerance it's a much bigger deal but if you've lived with it for a while you should know what to avoid.

That said, it's not impossible to do, even in our little backwater I know of 5 different health food shops where you can buy gluten free products and most of the bigger supermarkets now stock a few things as well. Certainly shouldn't stop someone from making the move here.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:36 pm

My mum has to avoid anything with wheat as it causes her to lose her sense of taste and smell and makes her ill for days, she has had tests for coeliacs but was negative she is just really intolerant, so she avoids all products containing wheat and doesn't bother with gluten free products, she has a really healthy diet. She can tell within minutes if she has eaten something with wheat in it :(

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:23 pm

I have a friend who's the same, guess they could be borderline on the tests? I think there's a couple of other things with similar symptoms as well so maybe they're testing for the wrong thing!

It can be really difficult finding out what you react to and what you don't as well. Oddly, I can eat pasta with minimal problems but fresh bread is a disaster, which is why I'm beginning to think that yeast is my problem, not wheat :?

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:01 pm

Too much bread and pasta can make you fat too (which can kill you!)so i avoid it.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:41 am

I am the same Cassandra I can eat pasta but bread gives me awful digestion problems ( I won't go into detail :shock: ). My mum has lost loads of weight since cutting all this out of her diet, she has been tryng to lose weight for years and is finally succeeding :D . Think I will have to try it .

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:03 pm

I tried it once, for three months, and lost quite a lot of weight :D Then I discovered all the ways you can cheat :oops: Did you know that nougat and liquorice are gluten free :wink: so's turkish delight but I can't eat that since I went veggie :cry:

BTW, I see Susie gave up on getting a sensible answer :roll:

LouB
Tourist

Postby LouB » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:46 pm

It's the hidden wheat that's the big problem, even simple things like oxo cubes have wheat so if you have coeliac disease and not just an intolerance it's a much bigger deal but if you've lived with it for a while you should know what to avoid.

I don't have coeliac disease but understand the seriousness of it. I tend to avoid oxo cubes at all costs - why not try making your own stocks (veg, chicken, beef) that way you can control the amount of salt etc., that you add.

There is an abundance of good fruit, veg, beans and pulses available. If you prepare your own food and avoid processed food, you shouldn't have too much trouble omitting wheat, yeast and sugar from your diet.

Not as easy task, I admit but worth it if you want to improve your health.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:51 pm

As susie21, the original poster, has now edited her original question down to nothing, it seems that she is only interested in how well her benefit-supported lifestyle could be maintained in the sun, and cannot be bothered to try and do something to change her life! She would fit in well with many of the campo-tramps that our hard-working neighbours despise.
And yes Kenny, I am being judgmental !! :evil: :evil:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:46 pm

As your judgement is at best predictable....no worries :wink:

LouB
Tourist

Postby LouB » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:41 am

I'm sorry - "campo tramps" ????????

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:12 pm

I think yeast is more of a problem than was previously considered. It is a trigger for high cholesterol as well, and blood and urine tests can mask a condition. Fortuinately, when you have blood tests in Spain, they seem to check for everything - very thorough.