Injections

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Scot
Resident

Injections

Postby Scot » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:31 pm

For the last 8 years I have had MS which really doesn't give me too many problems and I'm very lucky that I live pain free. However, I need to start treatment very soon which means I have to inject myself 3 times a week. I wondered if anyone has had to do this before or can give me any advice as to how to overcome that initial fear (for want of a better word). I'm not needle phobic - but just like to look the other way, however, I don't think that'll be such a good idea under the circumstances!

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:54 pm

Hubby had to inject himself for a week once.... I couldn´t do it for him, I don´t like looking at injections!
He had to pinch a lump of skin together in his midrift (plenty there for him to grab :lol: ) He then jabbed the needle in, you then let go of the lump of skin and push the plunger in on the needle. Hope that makes sense!! Hubby (first time) did not let go of the skin when he plunged down the syringe and the fluid all came back out of the ´hole´ as he did the injection!
I´m with you on looking the other way :shock: Maybe there will be a nurse at the Drs surgery that can help you and show you what to do.
Good luck

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Got plenty midrift too! I wondered if there were any tricks of the trade - putting ice on the area or slapping myself :shock: Perhaps there is some kind of auto injector (think diabetics have something like this?) until I get used to the idea? Won't be able to ask these sort of questions in Spanish as haven't got the vocabulary required!

andymc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby andymc » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:13 am

Dont knw wha the needles u have are like but since it sounds like a sub cutaneous injection, it is almost painless.
Im diabetic and do 5+ shots per day, just pinch a bit of skin around lower stomach area put in needle and thats it, simple.
Once you do one, you'll realise how easy it is, nothing at all to be anxious about. :D

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 am

For a long time I was needle phobic (following an incident when I was a child with my father collapsing on holiday !) - I couldn't even watch them om TV, and if I had one at the dentists I was shaking all the way home !!

My husband is diabetic, and one time he was hypo (very low blood sugar), and needed an injection. He wasn't able to do it himself, so that left me ! I was terrified, but then thought - if I don't do it - he may die, which kind of resolved the issue !!

When I broke my ankle 3 years ago in Spain, they insisted I had to have heparin injections (to avoid bloodclots etc), and I would have to do them myself at home. This again was a mental hurdle, but like andymc, I just grabbed some of my plentiful tummy, squeezed, put the needle in, let go of the skin, and pressed the plunger ! No problem (except being a novice I got quite a few bruisings !)

I'm sure you'll cope !

Good luck
Chris

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:36 am

Feel a lot better now I know that other "novices" have had to inject themselves or others. I have been practising on my setter as he has an injection once every 3 weeks - he doesn't even flinch so I must be good at it! Is it the same wherever you have to inject ie is it always into a pocket of skin or can it be into muscles? I probably did the worse thing possible and started looking on the internet where people using Betaferon/Interferon are taking Ibuprofen sort of tablets 1 hour prior to jabbing themselves. :shock: However, it seems its to alleviate headaches and not the pain of the injection - phew!! Can be a scary place the internet sometimes!.

Andymc - 5 shots a day!! Can you drink them?

Bongtrees
Andalucia Guru

Postby Bongtrees » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:36 am

www.injex.com ............. system for needle free injections

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:42 am

Bongtrees - wow - like that! Thats my kinda shot! Will get in contact with them as see if compatible with my treatment. Perhaps good start until I build up my confidence a little - thanks.

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:04 pm

My husband is due for an eye op at beginning of Sept and they have told him to stop one of his medicines, which he has for bad circulation ,and to have the stomach injections for 2 weeks before op.Now, having read everyones advice ,I don't feel so bad about doing it.No way would he do it himself!!!!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:20 pm

I'm sure he will be OK, Bunty. I have just recovered from a broken leg and had stomach injections, just like Chris. My husband started off giving them to me because I was too cowardly and after about four days, I took over as it was easier for me to do and it really didn't hurt at all, promise you.
You just have to move each one along so you don't keep bruising the same spot. I looked like a dartboard at first, but soon became bruise free.
OH regularly gives me jabs in the rear :lol: and they don't hurt either. I can't manage them, I can't reach.
Most villages have a freelance nurse who will offer injections at their own home for a few euros, but we found it easier to do our own. I think you might find this set up inconvenient, Scot, too because there is always a queue when I have been to ours.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Sorry...I could have used better words :oops: have just reread it - apologies, I typed too quickly.

Don

Postby Don » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:02 pm

anis wrote: OH regularly gives me jabs in the rear :lol: and they don't hurt either. I can't manage them, I can't reach.
Thanks for that little injection of humour anis. :D
I do suffer from needle phobia big time.
I went to a dentist promising me "needle-free" technology and then they said, after slipping in this IV into your arm, you wont feel a thing !

That's when the panic set in.

Good luck with it all Scot et al.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:07 pm

Thanks for that little injection of humour anis.

That was terrible, Don :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don

Postby Don » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:20 pm

I know, lo siento. :D

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:30 pm

Bunty as my OH working in UK, I have to do it myself - unless I ask my 15 year old son :twisted:
Anis - I would need a rear view mirror for mine!
Don - We are having a few days away soon when OH comes over from UK. Will be staying close to Utrera for a day or so. We have children with us too (aged 8 to 15). Any recommendations for places to eat in Seville or visit - we plan on one day at Isla Magica and my son wants to fly over the area in a small aircraft for an hour or two (saw it advertised on the internet!).

Don

Postby Don » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:59 pm

Interesting flight in small aircraft, the big ones landing at Sevilla airport often come pretty much over the city. We also have the Sky Dive Spain club out at Juliana aerodrome which has small planes. As for eating in Sevilla, in August there are a few restaurants closed for summer vacation but if you give me a clue as when and to the style you are looking for, tapas, a bit of a treat, cheap and cheerful, morrocan, chinese, then I can give some pointers.

cj
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cj » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:50 am

Hi Scot
If you are living anywhere near to me I would be willing to show you. I used to be a nurse so have plenty of experience. PM me if I can be of any help.
cj

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks cj - now got an appt for Wed 20th Aug so will see how that goes. From reading on the internet it would appear that most people inject themselves in the evening (bedtime) so think it would be a bit tricky to get from Rincon area to Almunecar in the dark (in my nightie :shock: ). However, may pm you soon if you dont mind as I may need a little advice!

cj
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cj » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:14 am

No problems anytime

Scot
Resident

Postby Scot » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:15 pm

I've done it! There was nothing to it - used the auto injector which I have in my kit at home now and didn't feel a thing! Thanks to everyone and please don't anyone be worried if they have to jab themselves. I've done the top left arm and will hit the top right arm friday night - all well!!