True brit

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Manchesteral
Resident

True brit

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:46 pm

Lewis Hamilton, a true Brit, I salute him !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: True brit

Postby katy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:47 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 am

The boy did good!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:06 am

The car and engine were also built in Britain so a total British triumph. :thumbup:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:54 pm

Not a total British triumph. HMRC will not see much of his huge income. He is however more than happy to wrap himself in the union flag. A tad hypocritical perhaps?

But there again perhaps he is resident in Monaco for reasons other than tax, or the lack of it!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:44 pm

Len S wrote:Not a total British triumph. HMRC will not see much of his huge income. He is however more than happy to wrap himself in the union flag. A tad hypocritical perhaps?

BOLLxxxs!

He is British, the car is British - what the hell has his tax situation got to do with it? Are you going to object to the fact that they play the National Anthem when he wins?

Sid

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:49 pm

I wasn't going to respond to Sid as I thought his response was a touch vitriolic. However coincidently I have just read an article in Daily Mail on-line by Max Hastings on the very same subject. Whilst I am not an avid follower of The Daily Mail in general, or Max Hastings in particular, I agree with his argument in this case.

Ps. I am more a Daily Telegraph man myself.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:51 pm

So what is your opinion of other Brits like Sir Tom Jones and Sir Sean Connery and all the other famous Brits who pay no UK tax because they choose to live outside the UK?

Not to mention all the Brit celebs who are tax resident in the UK and avoid tax by equally legal methods?

People should be respected for their achievements rather than by their tax status.

As I no longer pay UK tax, would you get equally upset if I chose to embrace the Union Flag or should I be supporting Fernando Alonso (assuming he ever wins another race) by waving a Spanish flag?

Sid

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:20 pm

I believe that all people have the absolute right to live wherever they wish, British Nationals in UK or elsewhere. However when individuals live outside UK SOLELY to reduce their overall tax burden I believe they demean themselves and lose some of the admiration I, and very many others, have for them.
It obviously is a totally legal practice, but I also look at the morality of their actions. It was once described to me as tax evasion for the very wealthy.
Let's face it the vast majority of these tax exiles have so much money that paying UK rates would not adversely affect their standards of living one iota, nor indeed their descendants.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:00 pm

What makes you think Hamilton lives in Monaco solely for tax advantages? It is a lovely place to live, just down the road from Nice. I could live there happily even if I had to pay more tax, providing I could afford it. You don't have to leave the UK to pay almost nil tax.

I thought it was nice he keeps his roots. Bit different from that boxer (his name escapes me) who after he won a boxing match representing the UK ran around the ring with a Pakistani flag!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:45 pm

I ask one question, If you was earning £50million per year and could keep most of it or give half to Cameron and co to give away to the 3rd world and Romanians etc what would you do? If your truthfull you would become an exile. The reason you moan about it is because your not in Hamilton and Co situation. FACT!!!

Len S
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Len S » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:54 pm

You know nothing about me, so don't make absolutely nonsensical assumptions about me.

For the record I agree with the overseas aid budget. I accept that a portion of it does not reach the deserving cases it is supposed to but large amounts do. The result is that a great many impoverished people gain from it and their wretched woeful lives are enriched a little by it. These people did not choose to be born into abject poverty. It is only fate that I was not born into such conditions and perhaps even costakid.

So I am more than happy that a small percentage of my taxes, and other contributions I make, go to help these people. In 2013 the advocacy group One calculated that a person on an income of £25000 pays on average £5465 in tax of which £52 goes to the overseas aid budget i.e. 0.2%. A little different than the ridiculous figures suggested by costakid. If you disagree with their figures please take it up with them.

And to answer the question, no I would not become a tax exile.

I have nothing further to say on the matter.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:00 pm

"I have nothing further to say on the matter" well that's a result then eh?

Katy, as beautiful as Monaco is, I prefer Villefranche sur mer, where Marcel in the portside bar speaks great, if slightly cocknified English, Lenny boy give it a rest now you've been slapped down, learn from it :-)
Last edited by Manchesteral on Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:06 pm

El Cid, "assuming he ever wins another race" you rascal, you're probably right though, he's past it now !

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Len S wrote:I wasn't going to respond to Sid as I thought his response was a touch vitriolic. However coincidently I have just read an article in Daily Mail on-line by Max Hastings on the very same subject. Whilst I am not an avid follower of The Daily Mail in general, or Max Hastings in particular, I agree with his argument in this case.

Ps. I am more a Daily Telegraph man myself.
Doesn't old Max enjoy a good whipping now and again, not an old Etonian are you ? or, I suspect Stowe !!

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:13 am

Len, Give it a rest. Know when your beaten. As for overseas aid what about last year when we gave an african state 80 mil in aid and the president went and purchased a new helicopter for himself. When questioned and shown the invoice Cameron was actually speechless. A tiny percentage of aid gets to where it should go and I think as the Uk are a trillion in debt charity should begin at home.

COME ON LEWIS.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Costakid, I'm your wingman !