Prickly Pear thorns

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Prickly Pear thorns

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:41 am

We are trying to rescue a puppy that is living beneath the prickly pears- our group have managed to get 3 of the pups- one still remains- if only she knew we were trying to help her.

On Saturday while trying (we caught the 3rd puppy that day) a long thorn went into my hand. right at the bottom of my little finger, it then went right in, I could not get it out. The pain was rather painful! it went in right on the ´crease line´ where my finger joins my hand. My finger is swollen and so is the hand under the finger, but no redness. It feels kind of numb. Do these thorns work their way out? It is the hard spikey type- not the soft ones like on the chumba by our house. I guess I should head off to the pharmacy and see if they sell Magnesium Sulphate pase for drawing out wounds.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Prickly Pear thorns

Postby olive » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:36 am

I would recommend a trip to A and E or the nurse at your local GP .

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Mix some sugar with soap and apply to a lasterplast. It's an old wife's remedy but will maybe draw it out for you. When we first went to Spain I mistakingly picked a prickly pear off and got a hand full of the things. Took our lass ages to pick them all out. Luckily they hadn't gone very far in. We still laugh about it now. Ouch it hurt.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Swerve, will give that a try. Your story reminds me of the first time I peeled a prickly pear, I held it with a fork, carefully cut away the skin then brushed off the skin from the table top
into a bag using my hand!