Hypothyroidism

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Pete'nKim
Andalucia.com Amigo

Hypothyroidism

Postby Pete'nKim » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:16 am

Hi Again

As this is a pre-existing condition it won't be covered for my wife. Can anyone who suffers from this advise on costs of medication please? - Levothyroxin

Thanks
Remember - Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you!

Trooperman
Resident

Re: Hypothyroidism

Postby Trooperman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:19 pm

Just go into a Farmacia and ask - give 'em your existing packet if necessary. There should be no supply without prescription issues as there ain't on most stuff other than anti-biotics

.....or have a look at this thread from another forum: http://tinyurl.com/khxpoez wher, if I read it correctly, 3 Euros seems to be the answer.
nil illegitimum carborundum

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:16 pm

I get mine on prescription so it's just a few cents but I think it was around 2 euros from a farmacia when I used to get it before going on the health system. 3 euros tops, so not expensive.

Chica56
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chica56 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:27 pm

THere are two thyroid medications levothroid and Eutirox.....both are very cheap but I find one suits me a lot more than the other and this is apparently typical......you can just buy it over the counter

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:14 am

Levothroid has now been discontinued. I was on that but have been put on Eutirox.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:49 am

Pack of 50x100mg €2.80 approx., the last tome I was over a few weeks ago because there was no 100 in stock I had to get 50mg, this pack was about €3.80 and as far as I remember the pack had 100 so you will be ok.

hope this helps

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:54 am

Trooperman wrote:Just go into a Farmacia and ask - give 'em your existing packet if necessary. There should be no supply without prescription issues as there ain't on most stuff other than anti-biotics

Just as an aside I bought 2packs of amoycillin from 2 separate pharmacies a week ago,never had a problem,they never ask what they're for.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:29 pm

I have a theory about that: if you're (in my case, obviously) a foreigner asking, they'll make the sale, assuming there'll be no comeback as you won't be around for long - just passing through/tourist is what I mean. Not saying that was the case for Nimrod, but I believe it was the case for me on a few occasions in the past.
nil illegitimum carborundum

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:39 pm

IreneD wrote:Levothroid has now been discontinued. I was on that but have been put on Eutirox.
I've been on Levothyroxine for donkeys years and as far as I know it's still prescribed here in UK :think: - never heard of Eutirox :? . I shall ask when I next renew my prescription in a couple of weeks time
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:32 pm

Levothyroxine is the generic- Levothroid is one of many brand names of levothyroxine, Chrissie, like Levothroid, Levoxyl, Synthroid, Tirosint, Unithroid, Eutirox. I don't know which ones you can get in Spain. As I say, I was on Levothroid but am now on Eutirox :) - I expect you can get the generic and other branded levothyroxine meds.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Ah. I see - I must be on the generic (cheaper :wink: ) stuff :D
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)