Getting to see a Doctor

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Getting to see a Doctor

Postby Spartacus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm over on a 3 month trip and have my EHIC card from the UK. I don't have an emergency, I simply picked up a chest infection a couple of weeks ago but can't seem to shift it. As it seems to be getting worse I would normally go to the docs. How do I get to see someone here. Do I find a clinic and walk in? Is there a medical centre I should use? Is my card any use if not an emergency? Didn't do too much research on this as normally in good health so all help appreciated.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Getting to see a Doctor

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:57 pm

Hi Spartacus,
I see you have a medical Center in your town................

Consultorio Médico de Alcaucín
Calle Antoñin Barco, 0 S/N
29711 Alcaucín
Málaga
Spain

Just pop in and get sorted............ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Wait a minute Enrique.....this is Spain....it's not meant to be that simple lol Thanks, will get up there tomorrow.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:06 pm

Yes it is Spartacus............. been twice when on holiday....even went to a local emergency center as the Doctor only comes to the area I was staying in once a week.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:40 pm

You will need your EHIC and passport to be seen by a doctor.
If it becomes urgent go to your local urgencias.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:36 pm

Urgencias at our local Medical Centre won't issue prescriptions, so best to go straight for the doctor or if not available Emergencias at the hospital
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:26 pm

If you're not allergic,amoxycillin from the pharmacia got rid of Mrs N's chest infection recently.

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:47 am

Nimrod, thanks, pretty certain it's an anti biotic I need but never dreamt that it would be an over the counter item! Will try that beforehand. Thanks

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:37 am

I hope the OP does not mind, I have often wondered where to access a doctor as I see loads of dental clinics but inland all I seem to see are these Urgencias centres.
If anyone can tell me how do find out how to access local doctor it would be appreciated though I am hoping I will not need same.

Thanks

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:58 am

Hi wollie,
Inland up this way the Doctor tours the villages(using the Centro social) so call once a week, if you want to see a Doctor when not in your village rota then you can pop over to another village that is. You find out the rota from the locals.
Otherwise its down to the Centros de Urgencias in the larger towns.
Last edited by Enrique on Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nimrod
Resident

Postby Nimrod » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:16 am

Spartacus wrote:Nimrod, thanks, pretty certain it's an anti biotic I need but never dreamt that it would be an over the counter item! Will try that beforehand. Thanks
Some members here say the chemists don't give out antibiotics over the counter now
I go to Spain 3 times a year and buy amoxycillin every other time and bring back to the UK without any problem.Never been refused.
By the time you get to see a UK doctor to prescribe it you'll either be dead or cured.
Last lot I bought was in March this year,can't remember how much it was but not dear.

Spartacus
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Spartacus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:42 am

Cost 5.50 euro. I did get told in the pharmacy in Vinuela that I needed to see a doctor first. So I went up to Alcaucin to visit the med centre and went into the local pharmacy there to ask for directions to the med centre as I needed antibiotics. They gave me them making sure I understood what they were for and the dosage etc. Just need them to work now before my lung hits the far wall !

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:25 pm

Some chemists have started refusing to give antibiotics over the counter. i guess because of the world wide issues with it losing its strength to fight infections. but then go into another chemist and they will give you it. its a luck of the draw. you can get a huge amount of things over the counter here that you cant in the uk. although i made my first trip to the drs today (he actually understood my spanish!) and even though i can buy the meds over the counter (dr in the uk nearly had a heart attack when i told them i could buy it otc in spain with no questions asked) i wanted to see the price difference between a prescription and the otc price. it was about ten euros a month less with a prescription but they dont supply the exact version on the spanish nhs that i get in the chemist only one that has different ingredients and amounts. So ill have to just buy it otc at the increased rate. tbh its worth it to be hassle free