Dental insurance

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
littleeak
Andalucia.com Amigo

Dental insurance

Postby littleeak » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Has anyone got dental insurance? Can anybody recommend a company?

Manchesteral
Resident

Re: Dental insurance

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:03 pm

What specifically do you mean by insurance ?

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:06 pm

The same a private health insurance, but specifically for teeth, which is usually not included in normal health insurance.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:27 pm

I just pay as I go along.

The dentist is the one place I go to where I have problems with the language. I have to ask them to use sign language to help me understand.
If you don't speak Spanish well, you should make sure that the dentist or nurse speaks English.

Girlingfoss
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Girlingfoss » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:51 pm

Not sure where you live but prevision medica offer it
probably other insurers do also. http://www.previsionmedica.com/productos/dental
Found this out even though I do not live in Spain yet.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:55 am

We made the mistake of paying for Prevision Medica's dental policy for a year. It cost around 110 per person and gave the right to free checkups and "discounts" on other procedures.
When we tried it out the dentist said she doesn't charge for checkups anyway and the discounted prices were no lower than she charges for uninsured patients.
We recently moved our son's general health policy to Sanitas. The new contract includes dental cover at no extra cost - which probably corresponds to its value.
If in doubt, ask your dentist if it would be worth it.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:32 pm

I never have to pay for a check up.
A clean twice a year and a filling if needed might come to that.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Superplonk wrote:We made the mistake of paying for Prevision Medica's dental policy for a year. It cost around 110 per person and gave the right to free checkups and "discounts" on other procedures.
When we tried it out the dentist said she doesn't charge for checkups anyway and the discounted prices were no lower than she charges for uninsured patients.
We recently moved our son's general health policy to Sanitas. The new contract includes dental cover at no extra cost - which probably corresponds to its value.
If in doubt, ask your dentist if it would be worth it.
But does this type of insurance cover, for example caps or dental implants because if it doesn't then in my view it's useless !

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:22 pm

See above. It just gives you "discounts". Ask your dentist if there would be any saving.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:00 am

We have found the dentists here are very reasonably priced. If you have pretty good teeth and go for regular check-ups then it may be just as cheap to PAYG. We usually pay around 40€ for a check-up and clean.
I have had to have the first work done for over 12 years the other week as I cracked a tooth. I had an x-ray and it had to be completely rebuilt with a titanium post and the total cost was 130€. As others have said, you really need to check the small print to see if it's worth the cost of insurance as I doubt it will cover major work without costing a small fortune every year.