Rugby in Spain

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
flyeogh
Resident

Rugby in Spain

Postby flyeogh » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:46 pm

While walking through the old back streets of old puerto (Puerto de Santa Maria, Cadiz) on a sunny afternoon I suddenly gained a thirst as you do. I looked down a long narrow street and there was an open old wooden door leading into a big old stone building without many windows, and those that there were being very small. I thought "medival bodega!!" just the job. As I approached sure enough a board outside had a list of six or seven options for breakfast. Clearly a place to refresh the throat I thought even if 3 pm seemed a bit late for brekkie.

Wasn't till I arrived at the door I read "El Puerto Rugby club. Non members welcome".

Inside a bar that had seen centuries of use had walls emblazoned with lots of rugby shirts and shelves crowded with silver and gold trophies, and rugby balls. And of course the compulsory tv with some political debate, you know the ones where they all talk at the same time, that no one was taking any notice of.

Ordered a glass of cold white wine to which the guy trudged off to the fridge to place a bottle on the bar. As he carefully extracted the cork I thought I don't think they drink much of this here. Then I was offered either a normal wine glass or a sherry flute. Well I like the shape of the flutes. What was poured for sure was nearer a dry sherry than a crisp white but it sild down rather well quickly followed by a second and then a coffee.

Two young guys, one on crutches, at a small table, three oldens drinking cofee and a barman who looked like he may have handled a rugby ball in the past. So never daunted conversation begins.

Turns out there are 6 teams including Jerez, Cadiz and Gibraltar - a good 2 hours away. I asked about the 6 nations and they offered that it was the perfect place for a bit of atmosphere - not that they seemed to care who might win.

Turns out the young one with the broken leg had sustained the injury in a match. Never slow in offering my spanish I joked with the injured player that the other guy was presumably dead. This rather tame joke (if you could call it that) went down rather well with all 6 of them.

So no more laptop rugby for me.

And they told me where the ground was so I may even go and cheer them on 8)

Anyone else found their local club?
El raton de watford

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: Rugby in Spain

Postby katy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:04 pm

Marbella has a long established one.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:05 pm

So does Velez-Malaga.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:03 pm

Up here there are many of clubs. In fact, some of The French Basque teams play European cup matches in San Sebastian.

flyeogh
Resident

Postby flyeogh » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:05 am

Guess no one who passes here has got involved with their local club. C'est la vie :D

By chance turns out my plumber was the first homegrown player of the club. Filled me in on all the history while he fitted two taps. Probably the most expensive taps I'll ever have fitted as I couldn't stop him talking (he was front row :evil: ).

Then turns out he is a fanatical gardener and now brings us plants each time we need him.

And when my local bar discovered my interest in rugby they organised a tv to show the 6 naciones.

Not bad chaps these spaniards you know , or maybe just rugby fans, or both :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: :mrgreen:
El raton de watford

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:43 pm

I played Rugby union frome the age of 7 through to 40 when I Could no longer take the beatings :crazy: Spain has a great tradition of Rugby and some top class players!