Migraines

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Migraines

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Has anyone had any success with natural remedies for migraines.any ideas on what i could try

gretch
Resident

Re: Migraines

Postby gretch » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:16 pm

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:54 pm

Thanks gretch. Ive seen them when googling just wondered if anyone had any personal experience

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:26 pm

Well I tried eating a Feaverfew leaf once........tasted blood awful :thumbdown:
I’ve had more success with, relaxation & meditation :)

Gretch

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:45 pm

I have been having an increase in migraines - I hate the auras, they really scare me. I've just been Googling and am going to try a magnesium supplement. Will let you know how I get on.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi elusive,
Just passing on info here............ 8)
UK Doctor years ago said try Feverfew tablets.....could get them in H&B.......then EU changed the rules
So now its called MigraHerb.......Migrane Relief..its Feverfew herb in Capsules.

If the above doesn't do it for you then there is always Hemicraneal from the Farmacia............ :!:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks all ive ordered some feverfew tabs so will give them a try as they seem to be successful for alot of people.

Yeah i read about mag and also vitamin B Irene.hope they help.i dont get auras just terrible pain.I think its more tension headaches as i get alot of pain in my cheek/jaw and eye socket squinting from the sum doesnt help. I even googled temporal tendonitis as alot of the symptoms match what i get.

Thanks enrique hadnt heard of hemicranael

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:29 pm

And as a last resort there is amputation which is a permanent fix :D

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:36 am

Ive been very tempted !

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:21 am

OP asked for a natural cure so I hesitated to reply, however, I think this could help and can be considered as similar.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is linked to migraine. Mine had dropped to zero and ended up with a massive attack - total paralysis except for head/ neck and rushed into emergency in ambulance. Prior to paralysis - I had vertigo, vomiting, auras, speech affected, visual disturbance ie seeing through yellow filter etc.,Very scary.
It is a simple blood test and far more common than you might think. I have monthly B12 injections now and am fine. Some of us cannot keep the B12 in our bodies. B12 affects the platelets and you suffer from oxygen deficiency to brain which causes the headaches.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:48 am

That's interesting, anis - I think I'll get mine checked. Your experience sounds terrifying, I'm glad the cause was discovered and remedied with injections.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks anis. Heck that sounds terrible glad your ok now. I do take vit B tablets on and off as i had read about them helping a long time ago.but its not a high dose like they used in the trials so its never really made much of a difference.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:59 pm

I didn't want to scare any migraine sufferers, so I should point out that I have a rare migraine type - basilar with minor epilepsy, but am not epileptic. Inherited through faulty gene, so I experience paralysis in the mouth, lips and often hands on a regular basis. Hard to convince doctors that you are not drunk or on drugs when it is so difficult to speak.
Another trick we found over the years is to get someone to keep smacking the back of your neck when a full attack is coming on quickly. The blood starts flowing more quickly to the brain and oxygenating it. I think this counts as a natural remedy, Elusive.
I had to take daily injections of B12 for a few weeks and then weekly until the levels went to normal, but must take monthly injections for good and test blood level every 3 months. Just for the record, chocolate, cheese, etc don't bother me - only strobe or flickering neon lights or sunlight through trees when driving, so I wear special sun glasses too and that helps a lot.
An imigran epipen is useful to have for emergencies too, saves going on a drip.
I don't think some doctors realise how horribly painful these things are, so you all have my sympathy.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:07 pm

anis wrote:OP asked for a natural cure so I hesitated to reply, however, I think this could help and can be considered as similar.
Vitamin B12 deficiency is linked to migraine. Mine had dropped to zero and ended up with a massive attack - total paralysis except for head/ neck and rushed into emergency in ambulance. Prior to paralysis - I had vertigo, vomiting, auras, speech affected, visual disturbance ie seeing through yellow filter etc.,Very scary.
It is a simple blood test and far more common than you might think. I have monthly B12 injections now and am fine. Some of us cannot keep the B12 in our bodies. B12 affects the platelets and you suffer from oxygen deficiency to brain which causes the headaches.
That's interesting Anis as I have just been told my Vit B12 is low and have just taken delivery of some 1000mcg sublingual methylcobalamin which is supposed to be the best and most easily absorbed form of Vit B12. Although the lab said that the 'normal' level in the blood could be as low as 180 pg/ml (and up to 850) my Dutch Dr said that this is far too low and it should be at least 400 (mine was 345). As I have been suffering from peripheral neuropathy it seems that this could have been the cause as Vit B12 is a very important vitamin for normal functioning of the body. (I have just found out I have hypothyroidism too and that is often linked with low Vit B12). I did also have a strange aura a few months back that scared me to death, so maybe that is all linked with this.

Elusive have you seen a Dr about your headaches or had any blood tests? It certainly could be tension as I've had that in a very stressful time a few years back and I thought I had a brain tumour, the pain was so bad, but they cleared up by themselves in time. Do you get hay fever/allergy problems as sinus pain can be like you describe too.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:56 am

Feverfew tabs came today. Will let you know how they go

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:34 am

Irene. What amount of magnesium are you taking.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:15 pm

elusive, I am using transdermal magnesium oil - magnesium chloride. It's made by Zechstein and is supposed to be the best quality you can get. Here's a bit of blurb from a website "Transdermal magnesium therapy is the preferred modality for rapidly elevating magnesium levels in the body. It is safer and more convenient than intravenous injections, and allows for far greater assimilation than oral supplements. Magnesium oil is the primary form of magnesium used for transdermal application."

I bought it a while ago from a stall at the garden centre market that's held on a Saturday, opposite the Canillas de Aceituno turn off but found it made my arms very itchy when I rubbed it in so gave up quickly. Recently, I investigated a bit more and discovered people were rubbing it into their feet, which is what I've been doing, daily, for the last few weeks. No itching, although I have to sit with my feet up for a while to let it absorb (no hardship for lazy me :) )

I also decided to take a multi vitamin again and found one I like in a pharmacy. Vitans Vitalidad A-Z. It has all the B vitamins, including B12, magnesium and some more useful stuff like lutein and co-enzyme Q10, good RDA amounts, too. I am aware that there is a view that multivitamins don't have enough of anything to do any good but thought I'd give 'em a try.

When I joined the thread, I'd had 2 nasty migraines within days of each other - the auras scare me to death, so I was very anxious to avoid having any more. I have no idea whether what I'm doing is helping but touch wood, I haven't had any more.....and I'm feeling really well at the moment.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:19 pm

Don't buy magnesium oxide as I did, as it's the worst for absorption and is the most likely to upset your stomach. I have over 100 of the pills left of the pack I bought a few months back and I shall have to throw them out as I cannot take them.

I did a lot of research on the internet and chelated magnesium glycinate is supposed to be the best, so I am waiting for those to come in the post. I think the dosage is 400mg which is 100% of your RDA. I am deficient so do need to take the highest dose I can. On the forum for hypothyroidism the magnesium oil was recommended to me, but I would have to use so much of it it would be quite a task to slather myself in that every day. Although from what Irene says, it seems quite a relaxing way to take it!

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:16 pm

I've been looking for just how much magnesium oil I should be using daily. Haven't found anything yet but I like this article on the benefits (including helping with migraine) and it also tells you how to make your own.

https://draxe.com/magnesium-oil/

Wicksey, I'm a bit reluctant to take it in pill form as it has a tendency to make one ....errr....loose..... and I don't need that effect :D It's a shame about your magnesium oxide pills. By the way, I am hypothyroid, too, since my hemithyroidectomy.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:34 pm

Thanks irene. I found the same wicksey.i saw holland and barrett were doing a special on mag..but after abit of a google it was the same form you mentioned that is the weakest type to get so ive ordered the better ones aswell .