Migraines

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Migraines

Postby chrissiehope » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:07 pm

I've been hypothyroid since my op around 35 years ago ! I assume that like me, you take a supplement tablet of thyroxine/levothyroxine ? Do be careful what else you take, as I found out in Boots that you aren't even supposed to take decongestant tablets (I do tho' but not many;-) ) - they wouldn't sell them to me, so now I have to lie... !!
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:18 pm

I take my supplements several hours away from my levothyroxine, Chrissie, so hopefully I'm not doing anything I shouldn't. :thumbup:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm not sure, but I think it has something to do with the speed of your metabolism, ie that your body will absorb things quicker, but then, I'm not a doctor ;-)

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:45 pm

I should look into it, really but I feel OK so am going by that. One of my 'supplements' is grapefruit seed extract which seems to be keeping my diverticulitis at bay, together with probiotics, and I have read that it could possibly be unwise but - to quote someone on a health forum with the same complaint - 'I'd take donkey s!!t and tram tickets if it would help' lol. That's kinda how I feel :D

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:01 pm

I have also read to take the levothyroxine away from the other supplements. I take mine first of all with water, then about 30 mins later have my tea and coffee, then my breakfast .... then at lunchtime take my other supplements .... what a palaver! I have only recently been diagnosed so will have to see how my first blood tests go to see if all these supplements are working (and I have to take vit D3 as well). I understand that the slow metabolic rate of having an under-active thyroid prevents all the vitamins and minerals being absorbed, which is why it is necessary to test and take extra.

After much Googling I have found 'Doctor's Best magnesium glycinate' which is supposed to be better absorbed and less likely to cause stomach problems .... so here's hoping. I am waiting for them to come in the post so shall see how I go. The magnesium oil I saw locally for sale said ideally 20 sprays a day and 100ml bottle was nearly 20€, so not sure how long that would last.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:18 pm

I've got a 500ml bottle for 20 euros, so it seems that I got a bargain! I think the person I got it from said she'd bought the stock off someone who was giving up selling it, so I don't know if she would still have some. The market doesn't seem to be happening now - last time we went, there were only a couple of stalls. Hmm.... 20 sprays a day, that's good to know, I am just sloshing it on lol. Will find a spray bottle and decant - thanks Wicksey.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:24 pm

Just been reading about a woman who was suffering severe migraines on a weekly basis. After doing something called the York Test, she found that she was intolerant to cows milk & corn. She stopped eating them & her migraines virtually disappeared. Worth a try ? :-)

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:12 pm

http://www.yorktest.com/ 299 pounds for the test ..... do you think the example stories on the website are genuine? Migraines are often linked to food intolerances though, so perhaps worth looking into.

Have you tried the feverfew yet Elusive?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:30 am

Hi yeah i started taking it about a week ago. Ive taken a break for a few days as ive been abit bunged up! And i was wondering if it was that but its prob just the weather.they say you have to take it for a while to see any improvements. I have three months supply if i take two tabs a day. Ive had the odd small headache.the ones you get where you think oh oh this is gonna develop but it hasnt.but tbh i doubt ive taken enough to tell either way.yet.

The ones i got are natures way feverfew off amazon 380mg

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 am

Has any of the above mentioned actually worked. Other half getting really bad
headaches sometimes and we are looking for solution. Normal tablets don't really manage symptoms. Thanks.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Swerve - is it migraine, or is it something else. Perhaps your OH should see a doctor?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:06 pm

I think the feverfew that ive been taking for maybe a year and half have helped. My issue is i also suffer with a neuralgia type pain in my jaw that goes into my temples and the side of my head and then turns into headaches.normally starts on a morning when i wake up with a really stiff aching tense jaw. i get different pains from the tension i get so sometimes its difficult to tell where the pain is coming from. But i certainly think even just taking one a day or one every other has made a difference to the migraine type pain that would last for a few days.when i do get that type of headache its for alot shorter time than i used to get.i seem to suffer more with the neuralgia tension issue now where as before it was the "migraine"

Have you tried naproxen with a painkiller as that helps alot with inflamatory issues

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:01 am

I've wrestled with this problem for years, It can be a real headache !!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:27 am

Elusive - here is a thought for you .... There is a known effect, particularly with people with tenseness, where during sleep the jaw clenches, seriously clenches, and can also grind the back teeth, and this consolidates the tension you already have in your neck, reverberating up into the head in the form of severe tension headaches. Some sort of aroma therapy might help to reduce your tension as you go off to sleep, but if it is really bad, you might need help from a dentist/periodontist to see about protecting your jaw and teeth. Get rid of your tension and you might find your headache goes too!

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks gasman. Yeah i have spoken to the dentist about it and he said i had inflamation.but tbh i dont think i grind my teeth.its just more of a tension issue as i wake up in the middle of the night with it aswell when there was no pain pre sleep. I have thought of getting a splint but the cost is putting me off especially if it doesnt work. I should have kept my old gum shields from my sporting days!

Gasman
Resident

Postby Gasman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Perhaps sporting gum shields might actually help !! though these are mostly for the front teeth only, and it is the back teeth that cause the damage ... where you would get them in Spain - perhaps Decathlon? or Amazon or try the farmacia
Google gives ...
https://www.decathlon.es/protector-dent ... 93899.html
https://www.amazon.es/Protectores-Bucal ... 2668305031

but then there is this ...
https://askthedentist.com/night-guard-for-grinding/
https://www.colgate.com/en-us/oral-heal ... teeth-0513