Using state health with no EHIC

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Using state health with no EHIC

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:30 pm

Last week we had the unfortunate experience of a great-grandson falling and biting into his lip. After some misdirection from a local farmacia to a doctor that did not exist (!) we went to the local university hospital, where treatment was swift and friendly under the EHIC. We were in Murcia so health cards for Andalucia have no use.
The thought occured to me about what things could be like after the loonies action Brexit - could anyone on here who does not qualify for an EHIC and has no state health cover tell me what happens if they go to a state hospital? This after all is a probable scenario when/if the UK leaves the EU. Do they get treatment? Is it pay before treat?
The other grandparents are not ashamed of voting 'leave' but of course have never thought about what it means, just that they want less Poles.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Free at Last
Resident

Re: Using state health with no EHIC

Postby Free at Last » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:27 pm

I know someone (a German citizen) who received emergency treatment, and spent several days as an inpatient, at the Hospital Comarcal de La Axarquia. She didn't have an EHIC card but did have travel insurance, and the hospital dealt with the insurance company regarding the cost of the treatment, she was not required to pay anything up front. Had she not had travel insurance, of course, I am sure she would have been billed for the treatment.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:59 pm

peteroldracer wrote: We were in Murcia so health cards for Andalucia have no use.
Aren't Andalucian health cards valid for use anywhere in Spain ?
Newer ones have "sistema nacional de salud de espana" printed on them.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:07 pm

Just checked mine (undated) and it does say that on the reverse gerry. I do not know if they could access my records of prescriptions and issue any though. My pharmacist says Spain is not a country but a collection of differing communities.
I am more interested in what happens with a non-EHIC carrier without private insurance, which us how all us registered pensioners will be after we have been Borissed!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:33 pm

If you are still in Murcia why not pop into a Pharmacia and ask them if they can access your precriptions via your card?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Back home now....

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:00 pm

peteroldracer wrote: I am more interested in what happens with a non-EHIC carrier without private insurance, which us how all us registered pensioners will be after we have been Borissed!
Surely this will become more clear as the exit approaches. It may be a case of taking out private health insurance, but at the moment it is an unknown scenario. Is the grandson a visitor from the UK? If so your health card would not be of any use for him. He would have to be treated under EHIC procedures.
Gerry

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:22 pm

"It may be a case of taking out private health insurance,"
Very funny.....cheapest quote without taking into account my type2 insulin-dependent diabetes is 15,000 US$.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 pm

The Convenio Especial would be cheaper and cover pre-existing conditions, but not prescriptions.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 pm

I don't really understand what that is about Sid - I thought it was for working folk rather than pensioners? In any case the cost of my tablets and insulin could be substantial.

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:27 am

The charges for the Convenio Especial are different for people aged over 65, so it isn't just for working people. It costs €60 per month for those under 65 and €157 per month for those aged 65 and over, plus, as Sid says, the cost of any medication as prescriptions are not included, although it does cover all pre-existing conditions.

We chose to keep our private health insurance on after my husband became a state pensioner and we were able to register with the Spanish state health system. I am glad we did now. as we are not so worried about what might happen if S1s should be withdrawn in the future. It might never happen, though.

jamesbowker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jamesbowker » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:25 pm

Whilst personally aghast at the Brexit decision it is extremely unlikely the EHIC arrangements will change. It is a reciprocal arrangement of course and it will be everyones' interests that the benefits remain intact. For a pointer on how the situation may develop watch Switzerland, not a full member of the EU but EHIC eligibility still applies. They voted in 2014 to restrict levels of immigration, not yet implemented. If this is followed through technically EHIC rights and other single market benefits may end. But there is always a negotiation to be had...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:50 pm

With respect, I do not see how the arrangement is reciprocal. To use the NHS free you simply have to be resident, with some differences in prescription costs.
To use the Spanish health service free you must be employed (on that rare thing, a contract), self-employed paying autonimo, or if qualified by S1 (e.g. Pensioner) the UK government pays approx 3,500€ per person per annum, prescription costs varying.
There seems no reciprocation....as far as I can see the Spanish government pays nothing towards its expats and has no reason to do anything for them.
As for the Swiss they have always been a special case, knowing where too many bodies/gold bars /stolen art are, and who iwns them....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:40 pm

I think James was referring to the EHIC, which is a reciprocal arrangement. The fact that the NHS rarely bother to claim back the cost of Spanish tourists using it is their problem.

As for Expats,the annual payment arrangement is also reciprocal and is an EU wide situation, and Spain will pay an equivalent amount to the NHS for each registered Spanish pensioner living in the UK.

Negotiating a new reciprocal arrangement for both scenarios with Spain after Brexit would be very easy to do. Far less complicated than trade deals.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:55 am

Dont see the blue card issue being any different in or out of the E.U its down to a seperate agreement. For example when we holidayed in croatia pre them joining the EU our blue card was valid there.

If you had residencia pre april 2012 then you are able to claim health care for free. Maybe that non exsistant law could be used if theres any issues with the S1 down the line

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:06 pm

elusive wrote: If you had residencia pre april 2012 then you are able to claim health care for free. Maybe that non exsistant law could be used if theres any issues with the S1 down the line
I have pm'd you elusive

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:01 pm

Sorry wicksey. Just seen it now ive replied

buddyboy940
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tarjeta Sanitaria

Postby buddyboy940 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 am

Hi, My Andalucia Tarjeta has expired, do I get it renewed via the Postal Service automatically, or do I have to renew myself?
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks, David.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:59 am

Hi David
What makes you think your Andalucia Tarjeta has expired?
Can't see any date on my card.
I do have an expiry date on my sesentaycinco card but they sent me a new one before the previous one expired.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:38 pm

peteroldracer wrote:With respect, I do not see how the arrangement is reciprocal. To use the NHS free you simply have to be resident, with some differences in prescription costs.
To use the Spanish health service free you must be employed (on that rare thing, a contract), self-employed paying autonimo, or if qualified by S1 (e.g. Pensioner) the UK government pays approx 3,500€ per person per annum, prescription costs varying.
There seems no reciprocation....as far as I can see the Spanish government pays nothing towards its expats and has no reason to do anything for them.
As for the Swiss they have always been a special case, knowing where too many bodies/gold bars /stolen art are, and who iwns them....
I've only just seen this.
It's not actually a reciprocal agreement we have at the moment while we are members of the EU means we have the same rights a Spanish citizens. In the UK EU citizens have the same rights as UK citizen. One addition to the list of ways to receive free treatment is being a dependant or spouse of someone who is currently paying social security.
Because the rules are different in both countries, the requirements are different.
When we leave the EU, then a different like for like reciprocal agreement might be set up.

BTW, As far as I remember, EU citizens under the age of 18 don't need anything apart from proof on age to receive free treatment.