Spanish Health Service

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
bigal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Spanish Health Service

Postby bigal » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:44 pm

It’s not often I feel constrained to post anything, however, in this case I shall make an exception.

Last week, I started to get breathing problems. I made an appointment for the Tuesday morning at the Health Centre in Coin, but by Monday morning it was so bad that I went to the Emergency section, having been fortunate enough to obtain the services of an interpreter who went out of her way to assist (thank you Gloria). I was seen fairly quickly at the Centre, answered various questions, given an ECG and X-Ray and eventually bundled into an ambulance and driven to the new Hospital in Cartama. Well, you would have thought I was Royalty instead of a decrepit old English pensioner, the way I was treated there. At one time, there were eight people buzzing around me, all with their own particular tasks. From there, I was whisked into an Observation Room where I was hooked up to various monitors and drips and was always informed about what was to happen. Several of the staff spoke some English, the Doctor, in particular, was very fluent. I was eventually released on the Tuesday afternoon with various pills and instructions and have to return to see the Cardiologist at some time (appointment yet to be made).

The point of this story, is that I have heard many tales of the shortcomings of the Spanish Health System and the Bureaucracy, indeed, the latter could do with some slight improvement here and there. However, although I don’t have a great deal of experience with the English NHS, I cannot imagine receiving this sort of treatment in the U.K. All those involved could not do enough for me and I feel very humbled to receive that level of concern.

In gratitude, Alan
Alan - aka the anorexic grasshopper

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: Spanish Health Service

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:54 am

bigal,
Thank you for sharing your S.H.S experience with us, it must have been a traumatic time for you, however you really do seem to have been well cared for, both medically and emotionally.

I hope that you recover quickly and continue to enjoy your life in Spain. :thumbup:

Regards,
Gordon

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Postby IreneD » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:28 pm

A frightening experience, so pleased you were cared for so well throughout it. I hope your appointment comes through quickly and you will soon be given perhaps longer term treatment to return you to good health.

Shelfy
Tourist

Postby Shelfy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Once again my husband had to use the Spanish hospital system. This time the Hospital Civil in Malaga. Appointment August, procedure October. Time of appointment in the first 9.00(seen 9.00 in the dot) the procedure appointment 10.00 seen 10.10. Great service. My only critisism was the waiting room which was so noisy with both patients and mobile phones that it was impossible to hear your name being called out. Definitely needs addressing.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 pm

bigal wrote:I cannot imagine receiving this sort of treatment in the U.K.
I posted not long ago about my own recent experience, which seems strikingly similar to yours, shortly after returning to the UK. I'm pleased to say I was also was extremely impressed with the service and care that I received at the hands of the British NHS. Big hand to health care workers everywhere :clap:
But yes, I agree with Shelfy - simply for the peace & tranquility over the raucousness, which for me is quite important when I'm not at my best, I'd rather be in an English waiting room!

All the best to you Bigal, hope you're feeling much better. :thumbup:
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.