Replacement for EHIC

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Trooperman
Resident

Replacement for EHIC

Postby Trooperman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:42 pm

I thought this had been covered before, but I can't find the link, so maybe I can ask now/again?
I am a member (if that's the correct expression?) of the Andalucian health system and have been since becoming a UK pensioner and having had all the S1 forms and whatever else it took at the time - 5 years ago.

But I have a EHIC card which seems to have come from the UK and which expires in April 2018. I intend to travel next year in Europe and after the expiry of that EHIC card. Do I get another from the UK?...or do I have to get one from the Spanish system and if so what's it called please and from where do I source it?

Sorry for all the questions but the web pages (and there are many of them) are somewhat impenetrable when one is not a mainstream (ie one live abroad) enquirer.
nil illegitimum carborundum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Replacement for EHIC

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:58 pm

An S1 pensioner has their EHIC card issued by the UK, not Spain, so renew it via the UK.

Sid

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks, Sid. My original post was on Sunday with limited ability to make meaningful phone calls to sort anything out. Now, it's Monday and a few phone calls have been made and I'm afraid, bureaucracy rules as you might expect.

So here's some info that might be useful to others as imparted by "Karen in Newcastle":
1. You cannot apply for a renewal online!
2. Renewals can only be obtained within 6 months of the expiry of the original.
3. Phone numbers on the .pdf web page form are incorrect and you will have to phone +44 191 218 1999 #1
4. The "normal" phone number erroneously and annoyingly tells you it's quicker to apply online: it's not 'cos you can't

Actually, with all possible qualifying permutations spelled out in excruciating detail online, it becomes apparent how difficult it must be for Brexit negotiators to unravel years of complicated rules and regs......but I digress!
nil illegitimum carborundum

GerryinCajiz
Resident

Postby GerryinCajiz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Trooperman wrote:Thanks, Sid. My original post was on Sunday with limited ability to make meaningful phone calls to sort anything out. Now, it's Monday and a few phone calls have been made and I'm afraid, bureaucracy rules
I seem to recall this was discussed some time ago. My personal experience of renewing an EHIC (original issued by the Spanish system) card was quite simple, telephone Newcastle and give details of current EHIC card. New one posted fairly quickly. Best to do this before current card expires.
Gerry