flu jab

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
bunty
Resident

flu jab

Postby bunty » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:28 am

Those of you 65 and over can now make an appointment online for their flu jab. This only applies to those who belong to the Spanish seguridad española. It is also on sale in the chemists for about 7 euros for those who prefer to do it themselves.

wollie
Resident

Re: flu jab

Postby wollie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:26 am

Does this mean any person of any age can buy this over the counter for €7 and administer themselves?
Also is it injection? i cannot picture prodding a needle into myself but i have a few friends likely love to do it.
One more thing how effective is this? i have never used anything like this...

many thanks

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:59 am

The usual process would be to buy the vaccine at a farmacia and then make an appointment at a private clinic for the injection to be administered by a nurse.

If you are not in a high risk group where getting flu could be a real danger to your health there really is no need to have the vaccination.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 pm

Even if you are not high risk, catching flu is not a good experience!

It's not so much that they don't recommend a jab, it's just that are not willing to pay for it!

It could be a very dangerous strain this year based on what has happened in other parts of the world. Of course, unless the vaccine has been formulated to match the strain, it can be less effective.

Sid

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:29 pm

I paid for mine to be done, hate being ill, looking after my grandchildren means I've had my share of viruses which they have brought back from nursery and school which has taken its toll on my immune system so trying to protect myself from the flue was a no brainier.

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:27 pm

I am over in 10 days, can i walk into Farmacia and buy and bring home?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Are you saying "home" as in UK? If so Asda does it for £5 Boots around £12. Talk to your Doctor nicely and you will get it for free.

Flashman
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Flashman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:37 am

Don't forget it's also about preventing passing the virus on. You may well fight the flu off yourself but in the process you'll have passed it on to dozens including eventually the very young, old or otherwise vulnerable. Every year thousands die from flu in the U.K. alone. If you get the chance (or can pay for it), get the jab

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:40 am

Yes Katy, " home in the Uk " i had it done at Sainsbury's , i didn't know that you could get it done at Asda for £5. I had one at Boots 2 years ago and it cost £15...The docs here usually only give them out for free to those most vulnerable.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:57 am

One year in Spain there was no vaccine to be had. Was during the recession and they were only doing priority cases. I got the jab at a clinic in Gibraltar and it cost £25!!

Is Spain a bit late starting the jabs, or was UK too early. Had mine early Sept.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:21 am

They don't usually start until about this time. It may be that the flu season starts earlier in the UK.

You can find out the current incidence of flu in Spain here

https://en.eltiempo.es/gripe?utm_source ... uDiffusion

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Despite having the jab I picked up something like flu in Antigua before Xmas. One day I had a slight tickly cough next day I felt as if I had pneumonia! Called a Doctor, got some jabs and medication and started to feel better in a couple of days but after the long flight home felt worse again. Still don't feel 100%.

Saw in Malaga Sur that flu is taking off. Interestingly one Doctor said a lot of cases don't get reported by GPs as it is too time consuming to fill in all the online details for Salud. As he says he could be treating patients instead.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:37 pm

wollie said:
i cannot picture prodding a needle into myself

Just had mine done courtesy of the Andalucian health system and this year it was one of those pre-prepared syringes with a needle about 1cm long - the same size as the ones that administer (self administer) Heparin anti-coagulant into the stomach and, I believe, the same size as the ones for insulin for those who need to inject. This flu jab was done in the upper arm/shoulder and didn't hurt....honest!
nil illegitimum carborundum

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:00 pm

There is a lot of evidence that this years flu jab is not very effective against the Aussie flu strain, particularly in the over 65s.

Also the dominant strain in SpaIn is not the Aussie A strain but is the B strain which is slightly less dangerous than the A strain. However the dominant B strain appears to be a Japanese strain which does not appear to be included in the standard flu jab.

So, overall it looks like the jab is going to have a very low effectiveness rate although the advice is still that it is better than nothing as even if you get flu the vaccine may help reduce the seriousness of the illness.

Flu is never a nice experience but it rarely kills you directly, it it the resultant complications that do, of which Pneumonia is the worst culprit.

What most people do not know is that there is a very effective, long term, vaccination available against Pneumonia. It is only available on the Spanish health service in just a few regions, but sadly not including Andalucia. It is, however, easily available from your local pharmacia and can be administered by the nurse at your local health centre.

The snag is the cost. It is €80 but in my opinion worth it as it will give long term protection.

Sid