Registration of S1 form

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Registration of S1 form

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:25 am

KarenD wrote:We had an appointment at our local social security office this morning to sort out our application for health care. We have lived in Spain for 11 years but we've never had to apply before now as we both worked in Gibraltar and were covered under its health care. We are applying based on the 2012 residencia rule. They also told us we would need to produce a letter from the UK confirming we are not entitled to health care in the UK. How do we go about asking for this, by phone or email? Does it take long for them to send the letter?
I rang the Overseas Healthcare Team on 0044 191 218 1999 and they prepared the letter as I was on the phone and they said it would take about 4 weeks to reach me. That was 11 months ago so not sure if it is all the same now. The letter is known as a Legislation Letter which simply says that you are no longer entitled to UK health cover since xxxx date - they ask you what you want put on the letter so I used the date I became resident here. They send an English and Spanish version so you can give the Spanish one to the INSS.

(Last year there had been a bit of a glitch for us as the UK had stopped issuing the letters, but with the help of the British Consulate we were told a few weeks later that they had started again, so we were then able to proceed and it was all pretty straightforward this end.)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Is that what used to be referred to as the "Newcastle Letter"?

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:27 pm

I think it must be Sid! From when I started researching it over a year ago it has always been referred to as the legislation letter and I presume that the Overseas Health Team is part of the Newcastle office .... from memory I think all the ladies I spoke to had lovely Geordie accents!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:30 pm

You're right there - they all sound like Cheryl Cole - but probably sing better!

Sid