Omega 3

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Omega 3

Postby katy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:34 am

I know Omega 3 has been mentioned a few times by aficionados on here. Research says it is nonsense that it protects the heart.
I expect the snake oil sellers will find some other vitamin to flog.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-44845879

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Omega 3

Postby costakid » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 am

Eating sardines etc is proven to be good for you. The daily tablets containing Omega 3 is now proven to be a myth and of little or no benefit.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:10 am

I have taken cod liver oil daily for most of my life,and old fashioned cod liver oil is rated as good as eating oily fish which is great for me as I don't really like fish.
And have I had any adverse effects ?.
Well not that I'm aware of....my eyes are big and bright and my gills work well and my scales are flexible and glistening and my wife is a beautiful Mermaid....
Regards,
Gordon the Goldfish.. :wave:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:11 pm

The best supplement to take with any BBC news or current affairs report is probably a 'pinch of salt'.
BBC.jpg
BBC.jpg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 6593 times

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:23 pm

If you want to see expert professional reaction to the original report, you can read it here.

https://www.cochrane.org/news/scientifi ... atty-acids

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:20 am

I do hope that everyone adopts a 'common sense' approach to taking any supplements, I personally have little faith in reports issued by so called experts, it makes me wonder who is funding these expensive research programmes.?

I would suggest that fancy packaging and film star recommendations of any fad supplements are avoided, just go for the most basic liquid or capsules and buy the from Tesco or Wilkos etc......

Anyway...I will keep taking my daily dose of cod liver oil and my spoonful of honey and my glass of fresh orange juice and twice a week my spoonful of malt extract... :thumbup:

Fish oils are good for many other reasons including eyes skin etc..and how do I know ?..My Gran told me and she lived to be 100 and was still doing a daily crossword and living in her own house until she passed away...

I also take Glucosamine sulphate tablets and when I don't take them my joints ache, maybe placibo effect..but who cares ?....

Regards,
Gordon....

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:51 pm

I know I'm going off the original topic but following Gordon's post above does anybody else have any comments on the benefits of taking Glucosamine sulphate tablets?
Both my knees ache but the doctor said they aren't bad enough yet for knee replacement surgery.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:11 pm

I always find all these articles about how good/bad something is for you quite odd. They used to say that a glass of red wine will reduce chances of heart attacks but how did they monitor that, or know that if the people sampled would have had a heart attack if they hadn't have drunk a glass a day? I do take omega 3,6&9 pills in the hope it will do something for my very high (inherited) cholesterol. I do have very high good cholesterol (HDL) so whether that is as a result of my omega 3 intake I don't know. When I eat a lot of avocados regularly my cholesterol goes down ..... not a scientific test but it seems that they are good for you!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:44 am

Gerry,
I personally believe that I benefit from taking Glucosamine and I've several friends who agree with me, however I would suggest that you give them a try for perhaps 6 months and see if they work for you.
They are not expensive, numerous companies deliver free or cheap to Spain.
It's also important to maintain a healthy diet and if you are overweight it does increase problems with knees and legs, just go with a common sense plan and see what works for you.

Wicksey,
Perhaps I should also eat more avocados, problem is I'm not very keen on them , perhaps I should juice them ?

Regards,
Gordon

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:05 pm

BENIDORM wrote:
Wicksey,
Perhaps I should also eat more avocados, problem is I'm not very keen on them , perhaps I should juice them ?

Regards,
Gordon
:clap: Very funny Gordon although when they're lovely and creamy you could perhaps include them in a smoothie. I love them and we have them nearly everyday over the winter when there's a good crop. We have them in our lunchtime sarnies, but you can make them into guacamole or other dips .... Google a few recipes.