Dental implants

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
Manchesteral
Resident

Dental implants

Postby Manchesteral » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 pm

probably nobody will be interested in this information but I'll post it anyway.

Having played proper rugby (union) for 33 years, my body has been subjected to violent abuse by many opponents (the French are the dirtiest players) I've suffered various problems with my mouth (teeth) also my unreliable personal oral hygiene (my responsibilty) and as a result Many of my teeth are now either lose or in very poor condition !

In the U K I have been quoted between £24000 (twenty four thousand) and 30000 (thirty thousand) for full restoration of my teeth, on Monday, here in Grand Canaria I was quoted €14000 for the same treatment, just saying !!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Re: Dental implants

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:47 am

Dental implants are cheaper in Spain. I have one and the dentist who did it told me loads of British come to Spain to have them done.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:55 am

I find dentistry in Spain to be of very poor quality. Unfortunately, its only after a few years of experiencing the work done that a judgement can be made. Always looks wonderful to begin with. Poor quality materials used because they don't expect the guiri to stay in Spain and so they can get away with it. Impossible to claim and obviously I wouldn't return to the same dentist to fix bad work.

I've tried loads of different dentists. they always ask whether I'm living here and planning on staying etc. Now I know why.

The work I had done in Britain was of far higher quality.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:08 am

Absolutely agree, my nightmare from hell dentist story is documented on here somewhere. Cost thousands to put right. They maybe ok at routine work but are offering techniques way beyond their capabilities. Lots of adverts in UK for cosmetic dentistry in Poland and other Eastern European countries at cheap prices.
My Dentist in Spain turned out to have been struck off in Sweden but was allowed to legally operate in Spain. Although as with all countries it pays to do a lot of research before having complex procedures, good and bad everywhere.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:09 pm

I can only say that, the dentist who quoted me this price came highly recommended by a number of foreign residents including Swedes and Danes who are especially picky(sic) about their teeth, I was also accompanied by a Canarian friend who has used the same dentist for many years, he's 72 and has great teeth so I am confident that the service will be good.

Of course there are horror stories from all over the world, personal recommendations are always a good start :-)

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 pm

Manchesteral wrote:probably nobody will be interested in this information but I'll post it anyway.

Having played proper rugby (union) for 33 years, my body has been subjected to violent abuse by many opponents (the French are the dirtiest players) I've suffered various problems with my mouth (teeth) also my unreliable personal oral hygiene (my responsibilty) and as a result Many of my teeth are now either loose or in very poor condition !

In the U K I have been quoted between £24000 (twenty four thousand) and 30000 (thirty thousand) for full restoration of my teeth, on Monday, here in Grand Canaria I was quoted €14000 for the same treatment, just saying !!
Sorry I reposted this after noticing I had spelt the word loose incorrectly :-)

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:54 pm

jhonie99 wrote:I find dentistry in Spain to be of very poor quality. Unfortunately, its only after a few years of experiencing the work done that a judgement can be made. Always looks wonderful to begin with. Poor quality materials used because they don't expect the guiri to stay in Spain and so they can get away with it. Impossible to claim and obviously I wouldn't return to the same dentist to fix bad work.

I've tried loads of different dentists. they always ask whether I'm living here and planning on staying etc. Now I know why.

The work I had done in Britain was of far higher quality.
I don’t get this. They offer one service to the British and a completely different one to the 46,000,0000 mostly Spanish people living in Spain. I have used the same dentist for fifteen years with similar service to the UK and no problems

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:06 pm

There are good and bad dentists everywhere. I was a dental nurse back in the 1970s/80s in England and some of the things I saw there going on made me very wary. It's made me very particular about my dental health and for a number of years I was lucky to have a dentist in the family that I used (but even he was duped by a partner who he had to take to court in the end - he was charging for work he had never carried out). I make it clear that I am an ex dental nurse and chatting to my current dentist who is English, I know he is genuine.

With implants, be aware that it is very time consuming when done properly. It can take up to 4 months as each stage needs to heal before the next. A Columbian friend has gone back home for a few implants to be done which will be cheaper than the UK or here, but has to stay there for 4 months for the work to be completed.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:10 pm

My one took over six months.

elizabennett
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby elizabennett » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Dental care is even more expensive in Ireland than in the UK, especially when you go for complicated procedures such as implants. Moreover, they are not covered by most health insurance policies here.
I got a quote for an implant from a dentist in Spain last year, and it wasn't much cheaper than in Ireland. I don't agree that the quality and service is necessarily poor in Spain. As markwilding said:
They offer one service to the British and a completely different one to the 46,000,0000 mostly Spanish people living in Spain. I have used the same dentist for fifteen years with similar service to the UK and no problems

I doubt that the Spanish dental service is inferior to that of other European countries.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:55 pm

It’s not inferior in any way apart from the fact that there a load of private dentists on the CDS offering 24 hour implants at a very low price.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:20 pm

My dentist here charges 164 euros for a three stage implant. The process takes about six to eight weeks. I was due to go for the latest one yesterday but he decided the gum needed another month to heal following extraction of a broken tooth two weeks ago.
I recounted this and the price to a Spanish friend who uses another local dentist and he said his last one was two stages with months apart and crucially was a lot lot more. How do you know?
We have used this dentist for 13 years and he is efficient, sympathetic and has really modern kit. I do not believe for a minute that the prices are any different for locals to guiris.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 pm

That sounds incredibly cheap. It is usually €1000 plus the crown. A root filling costs more than that.

Sid

Paulinmalaga
Resident

Postby Paulinmalaga » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:34 pm

What!!!! €164 for an implant.......that is an utterly unbelievably low price, I'd be questioning and asking to see the materials used first. My son has just had 2 implants in U.K needed as the result of an accident, his total bill was £2,800 for both.
I So Bella tis you

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Yes, I have yet to have a root canal and crown under €500.

Sid

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:52 am

We have just had a conversation and suspect it is three sessions at 60 euros. Last time either of us had one was a couple of years ago. I’ll report back definitively in the new year. The filling he did on Monday was 50 euros. Is that bargain basement price too?

Worried of Andalucia

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:46 am

That's a reasonable price depending on the work involved. It's certainly not cheap. I really think there is something very odd about the price you quote for an implant. The cheapest place in the world for implants is India and there they cost from $400.

Sid

wollie
Resident

Postby wollie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:35 am

I was quoted €1200 for an implant recently, i had one done in the same place 3 years ago for €1000.
What i do not know is how many teeth they can put on one rawlplug as i doubt if they drill separately
for each individual tooth....

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:01 am

A single implant would support one tooth. If you are replacing a lot of teeth, then two implants will, just like a bridge, support more teeth.

Sid

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 am

Olive maybe that's the dentist's charges for his labour and the materials are on top.

About 16 years ago I had two crowns fitted here and they were 750€. (My friend had a single implant done in Nerja 2 or 3 years ago and that was 1000€ and took about 3 months in total, and that didn't include healing time as she had had the extraction some time earlier.)

A broken tooth had to be totally reconstructed a couple of years back and that came to 130€ and I would say that was a reasonable price for Spain (an XRay and filling earlier this year was 70€).