This common painkiller could kill you.

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
El Cid
Andalucia Guru

This common painkiller could kill you.

Postby El Cid » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:28 pm

You hopefully are aware of this problem, but many are not.

The most commonly prescribed painkiller in Spain is Nolotil, (Metamizol magnésico). It's an effective painkiller on a par with Ibuprofen etc., however it has very bad side effects that affect many people of northern European origin.

It is banned in the UK, USA, Ireland and some other European countries. The NHS in Spain accepts that it is a potential problem and have advised health care professionals to prescribe alternatives to those who may be affected. However, from recent personal experience, I was prescribed it in the local Urgencias department. I pointed out that I should not take it and was given ** as an alternative.

Essentially, it can affect your white cell blood count and reduce your immune system to the point that an infection will rapidly develop into life threatening Sepsis.

Sil

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: This common painkiller could kill you.

Postby Wicksey » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:20 pm

I know someone who was severely affected by this a few years back, so that made me aware of the dangers. When I've gone to A&E I always wave a bit of paper with the name on it saying not to give it to me. I think I have a note on my records now under allergies.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:37 am

Aware of what you said Sid but isn't it called Nolotil?
Don't want other people to get confused.
A few years ago I had an operation on my spine.
Was given a prescription for nolotil, went to the Farmacia, and said I didn't want this, give me a different painkiller.
The Farmacia phoned the hospital to see what they had been giving me.
It was nolotil, been given as a drip for 2 days in the hospital.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:20 am

Yes, Gerry, my typo - it is Nolotil - I have corrected it.

Wicksey's suggestion to add it as an allergy on your medical records is an excellent idea.

Sid

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:47 am

Sid & Co.,
Very good to spread awareness about Nolotil, I had a friend who was serious ill because of using it.
The more people who know about the bad side effects the better, too many people just take what they are given by the Doctor without question.
I had a visit to the hospital with my wife recently and the young lady Doctor spent most of her time typing the personal information into the computor, then gave ' her ' diagnosis.
Blimey I thought, I could have done that ,in English, and I would of had a better understanding about treatment.
The young Doctor wasn't very pleasant ,with a face like a bag of spanners, and I couldn't help think that most of my shirts are older than her.
Still in general the rest of the hospital staff were really patient and helpful and perhaps the young Doctor will improve with age.
I only take asprin or paracetamol or alternative medicine....by the way..
May I wish you all the best of health,
Saludos,
Gordon.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:51 pm

The only painkiller I will ever use is Paracetamol, if it's not available then I'll suffer without it !

KKKaty
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby KKKaty » Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:18 am

Para Codol for me.