Volvo Masters

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Volvo Masters

Postby amheuwr » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:44 pm

Has anyone been to Valderrama to watch the Volvo Masters? If so, do you have any tips on spectating there? Will be in the area during this years' tournament, and want to go to watch for a day or maybe two.

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Very sad!

Postby amheuwr » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:50 pm

Yes, I am replying to my own post, but thought that I would give some information on my experience at Valderrama this year. Might help others that want to go next year.
Firstly I visited on the Thursday with my wife and two children aged 11 and 9 years. The weather was excellent for watching golf. We traveled down from Vejer de la Fronterra. Took us about 70 minutes to get to the car parking area which was well sign posted to begin with, but became a bit confusing towards the end. Parking was in the upper part of Sotogrande, and the public were ferried by a free bus to the Valderrama estate. In all the general organisation was pretty good. You need to make sure you remember where you parked your car i.e. Which zone. Try and find a particular landmark rather than the actual zone.
The golf was excellent and the course top notch. As to be expected the food at the tented village was a rip off. Suppose they had to match the extravagant surroundings.
As a family we really enjoyed the golf.
This was my first trip to Sotogrande and Valderrama and looking around at the wealth was quite nauseating. It was a pleasure to go back up the coast to Vejer for some reality.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:36 pm

Naturally the course is top notch, it costs 270 euros to play a round,keeps it fairly exclusive.

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby amheuwr » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:59 pm

katy wrote:Naturally the course is top notch, it costs 270 euros to play a round,keeps it fairly exclusive.
Having played quite a few courses around the world I have a fair idea of a top notch club. The fact that it costs 270 euros is certainly not a way to rate the standard of the course. Have played quite a few excellent courses in the UK, America and Portugal at very reasonable prices. The high prices for some of these so called great courses are a farce, and are inflated to give the rich their ego trips.

Jade138
Resident

Postby Jade138 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:53 pm

amheuwr wrote:The high prices for some of these so called great courses are a farce, and are inflated to give the rich their ego trips.
This is my sentiment too. I have played on a social basis golf courses in the Middle East, Toronto, America, Germany, Singapore, Malaysia and Spain at very affordable green fees for top notch PGA courses.

Between Amheuwr, the Volvo Master was played at Monte Castillo (Spelling) a few years ago. I like the course but not DH.
Friends multiply joy and divide sorrow

Kris27
Tourist

Postby Kris27 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:17 pm

Having read the posts above I have to disagree with the stance on the cost of Valderrama. I have been fortunate to play most of the Top 50 courses in the world, and on each one you pay alot more than you would at very decent courses. The money that I have paid at Valderrama, Pebble Beach, St Andrew's, The K Club, Kiawah Island and Sawgrass to name a few has been above the norm, but as they say, 'you get what you pay for' - and believe me, if you appreciate golf, you will never walk off a TOP course regretting having just forked out alot of money - well at least I haven't. The memories I have of the courses I have listed made every penny worthwhile.

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Just a game

Postby amheuwr » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:29 pm

If you can afford to go and play at all the courses you mention, then I've no doubt that you don't mind paying. Some people are not quite as fortunate. If you pay the rates you are accustomed to, then you will get only one type of player there, the ones I do not a have a lot in common with.
I have played at many different courses a lot of excellent quality and at only a fraction of the cost of Valderrama 8)

claire4james
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby claire4james » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:11 pm

Kris27 wrote:Having read the posts above I have to disagree with the stance on the cost of Valderrama. I have been fortunate to play most of the Top 50 courses in the world, and on each one you pay alot more than you would at very decent courses. The money that I have paid at Valderrama, Pebble Beach, St Andrew's, The K Club, Kiawah Island and Sawgrass to name a few has been above the norm, but as they say, 'you get what you pay for' - and believe me, if you appreciate golf, you will never walk off a TOP course regretting having just forked out alot of money - well at least I haven't. The memories I have of the courses I have listed made every penny worthwhile.
I have played most of these courses too........And all for 39.99
It is on my PSP though...........LOL
from La Cala with love...........