Golf club membership in Spain

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Golf club membership in Spain

Postby amheuwr » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:33 pm

Golf appears to be very much an upper class game in Spain, geared towards rich Spaniards and the tourists in the south. Does anyone know whether there are any clubs that cater for the average Jose?

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:00 pm

Most of them will cater for the more "normal" people.

The likes of Valderrama are not "normal" really, I think it's the only links course in Spain.

We haven't bothered with memberships to anywhere as so many places are good value for money & playing the same course every week can get boring.

We play Estepona Golf when we can because they are very reasonable on price & the course is pretty good (in my opinion), Duquesa is a ripp off & last time I played there it was in a terrible condition. There are so many courses here, you just have to pick & choose to suit you & your game :D

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Links course?

Postby amheuwr » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:54 pm

Not sure that I would class Valderrama as a links course, expenisve and downright snobby yes, but not links. Have played quite a few courses in Spain and none could be classed as links. Portugal has a few.

poshtotti
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poshtotti » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:30 pm

Sorry, my fault, Alcaidesa is the links course, which is very close :roll: Alcaidesa Links Golf Course is the first competition standard golf course in Spain which falls into the Links category.
Not played it, but overlooked it, looked very appealing to me.

amheuwr
Andalucia.com Amigo

Alcaidesa

Postby amheuwr » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:54 pm

poshtotti wrote: Alcaidesa is the links course, which is very close
Not played it, but overlooked it, looked very appealing to me.
I know someone that has played this course, and said it was very nice. It can be played for about the 60 euro mark if booked over the internet. The course web site is a bit swish. Some fantastic photos across towards Gibraltar.