El Canuelo, near Periana is open again!

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
moonpie
Tourist

El Canuelo, near Periana is open again!

Postby moonpie » Sun May 04, 2008 8:48 pm

As it's Mother's Day, we were out for a drive and ventured up passed El Canuelo and found it's open. We had a fantastic day out. We took in the views and were given tapas (on the house) before ordering and absolutely delicious and enormous meal, followed by coffee (and little pastries - also on the house). We felt so relaxed - the kids amused themselves on the swing and seesaw (surrounded by grass!) - we had a bottle of Cava. Can't believe it, we got there about 2.30 and left at 7pm. Fantastic - I recommend! I think they are just getting started again, so poco y poco, so maybe best to phone during the week 952 536 377.

Gel & Sue

Canuelo

Postby Gel & Sue » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:18 pm

We ate there in July and August, the food is very good and the views are stunning. The spanish waiter from Cantueso is running the place.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:53 am

How do you get to the restaurant from Periana?

Gel & Sue

Canuelo directions

Postby Gel & Sue » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:15 pm

Brenda
It is above Cantueso. At the cross roads of the main street, drive up the hill past the school to the top, at the end of the road turn left (right takes you to Cantueso and follow the signs. The last part is bit of a track but easily driveable and worth the trip. It is not open on Mondays and probaly best to phone ahead.

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks a lot - we always like to try somewhere new.

swerve
Resident

Re: El Canuelo, near Periana is open again!

Postby swerve » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Looking for somewhere different to eat is the restaurant that you mention (canuelo) still open and if so is it still good food and value.
It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:54 am

Call me a cynic, but I suspect it is owned by someone with the alias "moonpie", with Gel & Sue as waiters?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:44 pm

We have just been today, enticed by the special offer (8€ for 2 courses, 11€ for three) and were (4 of us) underwhelmed. The views are great, but we paid for mediocre food - nothing you could send back but apart from a reasonable tomato soup, all the food lacked flavour. The cesar salad was fresh but tasteless, the aubergine fritters bland, the "spicy chicken wings" had little or no spice, pork stew very transport café and so on. A large beer (their description) was 2.75€...
They gave us no reason to think of going again, which is a shame for them and for us.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:08 pm

I agree with the underwhelming aspect. We went last year for lunch on a late spring Sunday. The outside tables were infested with wasps making it next to impossible to eat. When we eventually moved inside I found it really lacking atmosphere.
Would not go back.
ádh mór ort agus sláinte.....
(Good luck and good health)!

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:39 pm

I don't think Peteroldracer means El Canuelo - I assume he is talking about Cantueso further down towards Periana, which does set menus. El Canuelo is a fantastic place run by a charming Spanish man Manolo. Food and views are excellent.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 pm

Oscar you are right! In my defence it is a bit confusing having two places near each other with very similar names :oops:
El Cantueso spends a lot on advertising in the English mags - this makes it even more foolish to waste that money by providing mediocre meals that mean few will return.
I will investigate the real restaurant if I can track it down!

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:27 pm

peter have you been venta la para on the road upto alcaucin.we have been twice and have not had a bad meal yet.We sampled the wild boar last time and it just melted in our mouths.I have been advised to try the morcillia as a starter and will be trying next time we are out.

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Yes the names are confusing. The people who built Cantueso (and sadly no longer run it) used to run El Canuelo just to make it even more confusing! I recommend you ring El Canuelo before you go as Manolo's hours can sometimes be a bit erratic especially out of season. His number is 639266013. I think his English is minimal to non-existent so be prepared!

letsstay

Postby letsstay » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi - Oscar is very right. The author of this blog post has mistaken Cantueso (which I believe did re-open a few months ago - but it must have been earlier than April 2012) with the 'holiday hamlet', bar & restaurant at higher El Canuelo.

El Canuelo is not to be confused with Cantueso (looking a little further down the valley towards Periana).

Since arriving in this area in April 2012, we have eaten at El Canuelo twice with friends visiting from England and both occasions have been great.

And it was superb on our most recent lunch - Wednesday September 12th 2012 - at which three of us enjoyed two courses including fresh dorada, home-made ice cream, beer and wine for less than 80 Euros.

However, our two cheap 'crunch lunches' at Cantueso were disappointing (even at these prices) and a later dinner meal was very average for the rather hefty price with service that was on the 'surly' side of friendly.

Admittedly Cantueso sits in a beautiful location and I'm sure guests staying in the accommodation there would be delighted - however the food (on our 3 visits) lets the location down, in my opinion. This is regrettable as I'm sure we would have eaten there much more often had this not been the case.

Mike & Bridget Cummins

*** Edited to remove reference to a commercial site - advertising is not allowed on this forum. El Cid ****

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:17 pm

A blog which just happens to be a villa rental website :roll:

brenda
Resident

Postby brenda » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Just been up to El Canuelo and, sadly, have to report one of the worst value meals we have had for a long time.

Plate of Bread + Chorizo Slices came before we ordered but, although unordered, this was added to the bill.

We were a party of 4 - had 2 bottles of House Rosado Wine (Viña Albali at a grossly inflated €11 per bottle which we didn´t know the price of until we got the bill), 4 starters of 1 x Gazpacho (no veg accompaniment) + 1 x very basic Salad + 1 x Mushrooms and 1 x Fried Goats Cheese, 4 main courses of 1 x Sole (was actually more like Panga), 1 x Dorada (?), 1 x House Plate (2 x Fried Eggs, 2 x Chorizo Sausage + Green Pepper + chips) + 1 x Vegetarian Stuffed Aubergine. We finished with 4 Coffees + 3 Soberano Brandys. Bill €99.70

Far from the most expensive meal we have had recently BUT due to the poor service and very lacklustre food - plus the Hell of a track up to the place in the first place - we won´t be returning.

A real shame as the location - when you eventually reach the bar - and view are superb.
Last edited by brenda on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Outrageous -they should be closed down for that.

We went there some years ago and it was overpriced rubbish. Unfortunately there are still people who will believe their advertising and go there - but only once.

Get on Trip Advisor and rubbish them for the sake of the rest of us.

Sid

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks for the update we were going to try it next week. We will be going back to la parra up on the alcaucin road instead lovely meals great service and a great view.

oscarposcar
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby oscarposcar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 pm

What a shame. I agree the prices are on the high side (to match their location maybe!). We have been for tapas recently which didn't work out too expensive. I met my husband there 13 years ago so I guess I have a particular soft spot for the place! I don't think El Canuelo is on Trip Advisor is it?