Restaurants in Orgiva

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
princesspentium
Andalucia.com Amigo

Restaurants in Orgiva

Postby princesspentium » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:29 pm

Anyone know of any good Spanish restaurants in orgiva pls?

Thanks
Ruthie

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: Restaurants in Orgiva

Postby Miro » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:44 pm

We stopped for lunch in Orgiva not long ago. There's a couple of places on the main street opposite the church, and not much else that I can remember. We chose one that looked OK. I don't recall the name.
On the menu was "typical Alpujarran lunch", so we asked the waiter what this was, and he told us "it's lunch, and it's typical to this area". We asked what it actually consisted of, and he said "it depends - one day it can be one thing, the next day something else. It's typical". So we asked the obvious - what is it today? He said he didn't know - but it's typical. We asked is it fish? He said "no". We asked is it meat? He said "maybe". This fun banter went on for a while, until eventually the boss-eyed twerp went to ask the chef, who was his sister and wife, and came back to tell us it was chorizo, jamon, potatoes and egg. We ordered two plates, and when it arrived it was exactly as described, and very nice too. We said "there, that wasn't so hard, was it?" to which the waiter retreated behind the bar to continue whittling a piece of wood.
I think I relayed this story shortly afterwards here, and someone familiar with the area said there are better places if you venture a bit further into the mountains. The meal wasn't even particularly cheap, but it has to be said, for sheer entertainment it was extraordinarily good value!
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 pm

There are restaurants on both the campsites (each end of Orgiva) and their restaurants are both pretty good, whether the top one (nearest to Lanjaron on main road) is still open as a restaurant I don´t know............

TOZ
Tourist

Postby TOZ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Try El Puente at the end of the narrow bridge going into Orgiva from the south side (coast end) I promise you will not find a more Spanish place, well used by the locals. the menu del dia is very good value!