Light of India

What are your favourite Restaurants and Bars? Share the recommendation with the forum!
gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Light of India

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:51 pm

I believe the Light of India in Torrox is closed whilst buiding work goes on.
I have heard there is another branch in Lugguna Beach doing a "eat as much as you like menu".
Is this correct, if so exactly where is it?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Light of India

Postby El Cid » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Coming from the east, if you turn off the N340 at the first roundabout after the RUI hotel, and carry on parallel to the N340 it is in a parade of shops just before you get to the next roundabout.

You need to book as they must be the only restaurant in the area that is always full.

They are also now doing a 25% discount on takeaways.

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:03 pm

And from the west? Is it before or after the roundabout on the coast road nearest to Aldi?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:26 am

If you mean the Aldi near the roundabout where you come down from the motorway then you have gone too far.

Coming along the coast road from the west, just as you leave El Morche there are two roundabouts. The Light of India is just after the second one under the Laguna Beach apparthotel complex. There is an entry into the slip road on the right just after the second roundabout.

Sid

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:08 am

run by a very pleasant irish family,tho the chefs are indian,glad to hear they are doing well,hope their supplying food to other outlets is going ok too
jayne countys most famous song,google it

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks Sid - we will probably give it a try in the next few days, as we have two young ladies staying who could eat for the Yorkshire team! :D

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:28 pm

Eight of us went there last night.
It is a "eat as much as you like for €12.95 each " menu.
Open every day 12 noon to 12 midnight.
Only tapas available from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm, the chef has a rest.
You order what you want from a fairly extensive menu and they bring it to you.
Pleasant and friendly staff.
Food very good and good value.
Drinks are pricey, ended up nearer €24 each in total.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:50 pm

The original "Light of India" which is reported as closed for building refurbishment seems to be closed permanently as the sign now says "Tony's fish and chip bar" or something distastefully similar. Today at about 16.00.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:59 am

That is correct, the owners of Light of India have re opened the original one as a chippie.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:09 am

Gerry - is it a chippie where they sell take-aways? - (UK style) - queue up and buy, or is it a restaurant?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:35 am

Well, we went last night: verdict? We would not go again. The starters were excellent, main courses sort of O.K., but there was reluctance to provide side dishes - "you could have two", when there were four of us eating, you could only have rice or naan, not both, and because of the system of 'first starter, then order second starter' the service felt slow, although the waitresses were friendly enough.
The worst problem was the cost of drinks, as already identified by Gerry - not only is 4.30€ for a gin & tonic way excessive, but it was a bit sneaky taking a drinks order before giving out the menus so you could see the prices - I have never asked "how much is that" before ordering a drink in Spain, but wish I had! Small bottles of water at 1.70€, Cokes at 1.50€, and cheapest wine at 8.95€ a bottle.
It does not come up to the standards and value overall of the Taj Mahal in Venta Baja, where the atmosphere is much better too.
Each to their own, but for me, only 6/10.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:41 am

dont think that those drink prices were that high,for a restaurant,sneek a gin in mate in your hip flask and just order a tonic

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:06 am

Three Euro for a gin, when a litre bottle is only three times that in the supermarkets is excessive. What happened to the usual catering mark-up of 150%?
Why don't businesses realise that the only way to survive, let alone succeed in these difficult times is to consistently offer good value?
Talking to a (Spanish) neighbour t'other day who has worked in estate agencies here, he said (with perhaps a degree of exaggeration) that there are many who are content to sell a couple of properties per year at 30% commission, rather than the UK way of 1.5% commission, and twenty sales per month. There is some serious room for a brave entrepeneur to start up an inmobilario here on those terms, and shake up the market! :roll:

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:17 am

a lot less work,the spanish like that

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:41 am

"Three Euro for a gin, when a litre bottle is only three times that in the supermarkets is excessive".....
someone has to pay for the glass, the ice, the tonic,the chefs, the waiters,the cleaners, the taxes, the rent, the electric, the water,the investment and loads of other unseen costs that go with trying to run a restaurant,and then, god forbid, try to have a little profit left after all that for his hard work....if you want to eat in a restaurant you have to expect to pay restaurant prices, otherwise it´s best to go to the supermarket to buy the bottle of gin and drink it on the pavement outside..much cheaper, but not quite the same.
3 euros for gin in a restaurant in europe sounds cheap to me

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:58 am

peteroldracer wrote:The worst problem was the cost of drinks, as already identified by Gerry - not only is 4.30€ for a gin & tonic way excessive, but it was a bit sneaky taking a drinks order before giving out the menus so you could see the prices - I have never asked "how much is that" before ordering a drink in Spain, but wish I had!
I agree completely Peter. We found exactly the same thing when in a 'cheap' restaurant on the Costa a few months back. We were taken aback to find that the glass of vino tinto my OH had was 2.50€ which is expensive for a menu del dia place in this area. We have cut back on eating out now anyway as, due to the poor exchange rate and the fact that our cash comes from the UK, eating (and drinking!) out seems not to be such good value anymore. I knew the drinks at The Light of India were expensive - they did have a menu hanging up outside the front door last time we were passing Laguna Beach, and as you and Gerry say, it suddenly turns from a good value meal into an expensive one. We enjoyed the 3 course menu del dia we had the other week at Haveli in Nerja which includes a drink for 11.50€ - we simply do not order extra drinks now to keep the cost down!

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:54 am

Either Julian is filthy rich, and doesn't mind paying over £4 - that is Four British Pounds! - for a G&T, or does not live here and exist on money from the UK.
I do not want to buy the waiter or the glass, just rent their use for less than an hour!
The profit margin on the food should contribute enough to cover overheads, and the drinks should provide the profit. In these days when one is lucky to get 5% interest (profit) on one's money, that should be enough to satisfy any business. The key is quantity - there is no substitute for bums on seats, so that many customers pay towards the same staff that are needed to sit around waiting for customers that may or may not turn up. That means offering excellent value for every part of the offering - or it certainly does if they are to get me to drive 80kms round-trip to patronise their establishment!
The Spanish do seem to be the worst at not realising that you cannot just put prices up to compensate for lower turnover, as eventually they will only be catering for millionaires and village mayors, both dying breeds.

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:12 pm

I´m definitly not "filthy rich", and I wouldn´t dream of living in one country and depending on an income in another currency....and I don´t calculate what 3 euros is an other currencies from around the world..3 euros is 3 euros...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:45 pm

But isn't it putting one's head in the sand to ignore how much those three euro cost you? Our pensions (or strictly speaking my OH's pension, as I have 18 months to go before mine!) come from the UK, as do most ex-pat Brits here, and are converted into Euro en route. Thanks to the general incompetence of the one-eyed Scot, this means that whether one converts Euro in pounds mentally, or takes into account the decreased income in some other way, it is decreased, so businesses here should wake up and get competitive. In the case of this restaurant, I would be amazed if Brits were less than 80% of their customer base, and for an Axarquia eatery with wood-clad walls and hard chairs, and a no-fuss feel, the prices should hardly be the same as they are in a swish Mugbella joint,
I still say that for me, a G&T should cost no more than 2 Euro - even if they ask me to wash up the glass myself, and no-one should charge more than 3 Euro to buy, stock and open a bottle of wine, so something they buy at 3€ should sell, with a glass at 6€. That way they might even sell twice as much, covering their overheads and giving them a profit!

julian
Andalucia Guru

Postby julian » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:25 pm

I really can´t see why a business in spain should have to watch the fluctuating exchange rates to price its menu...I I doubt the restaurant here does its purchasing in the UK.
I can´t see a restaurant in london moving its prices up and down depending on the value of the dollar, the yen , the euro etc etc
seems to me that some expats here want spain to adapt to them rather than vice versa.
Obviously it´s cheaper to drink gin in one´s own living room, but a restaurant client is paying for a whole combination of things that cost money..not just the cost of the bottle of gin.